Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 AM

65 posts, read 135,492 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move to Katy by next Summer. We have been looking for a while and haven't had any luck yet. We have a 14 year old and a 10 year old. We are trying to get into a house that will be zoned for Seven Lakes High. Almost all of the places we have found though have postage stamp size lots for that area though. We know we will not be getting an acre or anything over that but would like at least a 1/2 acre. It is more about feeling at least a little bit of privacy and separation from our neighbors not just a larger lot. It may just not be doable in that region but I figure it maybe worth asking. Thank you all very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 AM

430 posts, read 1,258,704 times
Like you, we wanted to be zoned to Seven Lakes HS and we wanted a large lot to build our home. Initially we wanted an acre lot (the realtor laughed), but would have been happy with a half acre (the realtor chuckled). In the end, we had to settle for a slightly-larger-than-postage-stamp lot that neighbored a greenway. At least we had some privacy on one side. I don't want to tell you that your ideal lot is nowhere to be found in the area zoned to SLHS, but they are few and far between. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM

65 posts, read 135,492 times
Thanks TexasCatherine that is the realty we are starting to realize. We would be happy with a lot whatever the size is as long as our backyard isn't an aquarium. We currently have 3 1/2 acres where we are now and know that we are in for a shock. We just don't want to be miserable living where we can't sit in our backyard and enjoy it or have the ability to lean out our window and high five our neighbor leaning out their window haha. We like some of the subdivisions and some of the houses for sale we are on the fence on. We just don't want to regret the move after the fact.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 AM

430 posts, read 1,258,704 times
One thing I forgot to add is that we bought a lot backing to a golf course, which affords a bit more privacy (check out Seven Meadows and Avalon at Seven Meadows). We also spent some money on strategic landscaping so our backyard/pool area now feels very private.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM

169 posts, read 451,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-mama View Post
My family and I are looking to move to Katy by next Summer. We have been looking for a while and haven't had any luck yet. We have a 14 year old and a 10 year old. We are trying to get into a house that will be zoned for Seven Lakes High. Almost all of the places we have found though have postage stamp size lots for that area though. We know we will not be getting an acre or anything over that but would like at least a 1/2 acre. It is more about feeling at least a little bit of privacy and separation from our neighbors not just a larger lot. It may just not be doable in that region but I figure it maybe worth asking. Thank you all very much for your help.
all I have to say is welcome to the Katy sprawl.
The west side specializes in postage stamp lots, anything bigger, if it even existed, will be way out of most people's price range. To get large acreage you have to look in an area where everything is large acreage...so the first things that come to mind for me are Bender's Landing in Spring or 90% of Housing in Barbers Hill.

Good luck in Katy

Last edited by jdw7337; 10-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: spell check fail

Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM

102 posts, read 237,996 times
If you really value a larger lot, they're only to be found in "old Katy" (Katy High School) or possibly in the Nottingham Country area (Taylor High School)--those were custom homes and some just happen to be really large lots, depending on how they're positioned. If you only want new or newer construction on a BIG lot, though, that's only old Katy. We've lived in the area 6 years and have had this debate almost the entire time. Right now we live in a home we built that we paid a $5K upgrade for just to get a slightly larger lot; some of those in same neighborhood that were a tiny bit bigger were a $12K upgrade. Nowhere near 1/2 acre.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,529,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymurr View Post
If you really value a larger lot, they're only to be found in "old Katy" (Katy High School) or possibly in the Nottingham Country area (Taylor High School)--those were custom homes and some just happen to be really large lots, depending on how they're positioned. If you only want new or newer construction on a BIG lot, though, that's only old Katy. We've lived in the area 6 years and have had this debate almost the entire time. Right now we live in a home we built that we paid a $5K upgrade for just to get a slightly larger lot; some of those in same neighborhood that were a tiny bit bigger were a $12K upgrade. Nowhere near 1/2 acre.
This.

Windsor Park Estates and Kelliwood Lakes come to mind. Homes built before 1995 and the "build em fast and cheap with two 5 gallon oak trees," came to fruition. I think this is why the ranchettes in Richmond have taken off as an option out there.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,001,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
This.

Windsor Park Estates and Kelliwood Lakes come to mind. Homes built before 1995 and the "build em fast and cheap with two 5 gallon oak trees," came to fruition. I think this is why the ranchettes in Richmond have taken off as an option out there.

Windsor Park Estates? Um, those people are right up on their neighbors.
1314 Westshore Dr, Houston, TX 77094 - HAR.com

Zoom in on that map at the bottom. Hello next door neighbors, I can touch your window with a ruler.

Too big a house, too big a price tag, too nice of houses to be THAT freaking close to your neighbors like that. Plus coming home to that after I-10 is a b.....
Dodging all the Escalades and Lexus Rx300s and BMW huge SUVs all in the already narrow streets is too much too.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,529,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Windsor Park Estates? Um, those people are right up on their neighbors.
1314 Westshore Dr, Houston, TX 77094 - HAR.com

Zoom in on that map at the bottom. Hello next door neighbors, I can touch your window with a ruler.

Too big a house, too big a price tag, too nice of houses to be THAT freaking close to your neighbors like that. Plus coming home to that after I-10 is a b.....
Dodging all the Escalades and Lexus Rx300s and BMW huge SUVs all in the already narrow streets is too much too.
Windsor Park Estates has two sections. The one with the circular street has houses on an acre and up.
Why all the rage?

Oh lol, you are looking at Windsor LAKES...go a little west of that mess. Kessington and Fox Tree area
http://www.har.com/HomeValue/19114-O...-M97999449.htm

still woman...so much anger.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,001,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Windsor Park Estates has two sections. The one with the circular street has houses on an acre and up.
Why all the rage?

Oh lol, you are looking at Windsor LAKES...go a little west of that mess. Kessington and Fox Tree area
19114 Oak View Terrace,HOUSTON, 77094-3055 - home value - HAR.com

still woman...so much anger.
LOL, I'm not angry. I just smh at housing prices for being literally all up in your neighbors grill. It's just a smh thing. Everyone I know, white, black, blue green, middle, upper, lower end income, male/female whatever ethnicity you can say fast prefers larger lots and being decently spaced from your neighbors unless you're in a townhouse or apartment. If it's a house? Not happening.

You must not know rage or anger if you think this is it. This is like geez whiz can the line move faster. Rage is here comes HCSO to pick a person up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: