Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,153 times

Advertisements

The New Downtown retail force the mayor created has released a new survey to feel out what people want. To me It feelings like running in cicrles.. We have been to this song and dance every ten years and still DT misses the mark. From readers comments it seems the same old thing..

Lack of unique retail that would warrant coming DT.
A out of control homeless problem
Expensive parking.

These are the general feedback you tend to get.

My Take on these problems-

Retail:
Houston DT is one of the few places I have been where there is almost no High end store in a city core and now with macy close no mid level income store ither. Instead of trying to force Main st in the role of retail center. let it become what is is slowing becoming, a bar/ food area.. like within the last year 5 new places have opened that cater to that niche .. Refocus the retail plans along the discovery green convention route .. that is where the largest concetion of hotels is at and that will be where most of your out of towners send most of their time.. The new convention hotel ground level retail will be a great spark for this but dont wait till then start a retail infill now.

Homeless:
Now I consider myself a caring person but even I have to admit this problem has gotten out of hand. I remember walking past molly pub and a group of people where getting annoyed because a homeless guy keep bugging him for money.. even after the guy made it clear it was not going to happen he kept right on.. this kinda thing will turn a person off to a area fast..hell just last month i was walking dt and a dude drop pants and started taking a crap in public !!!! come on now!! There has to be a humane way to both address this problem and still be caring city.

Parking:
For a city that is so obessed with the car, we plan poorly on where to put them.. I fear that the city leaders will see the demanded for more parking as a sign to create more parking lots, as oppose to parking towers. which can also double as ground level retail.. just look at the chicago marina tower car park as a model
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Parking is downright cheap in Houston compared to most downtown areas in the US -- I'm not going to even get started on that. Also, we need to look more at why people are homeless people as people and not just as an obstacle to our personal consumption.

I'd say the problem with Houston is the fundamental lack of understanding of how a wholly successful downtown looks and functions. Unfortunately, this is where no zoning is con, because downtowns don't just happen -- they're planned.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM

It does not matter what in comparison if that is the held view point of the people..no one cares what they are paying in nyc because they arw are not in nyc...they can only be concern with where they are. And the general conseus is cost.. second we know full well what causes homeless no need to re invent the wheel..that being said it is still a problema that needs addressing

Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
What is the infatuation with downtown and trains? When work locations are spread over the city neither of these are needed other than for the outdated model cities who use zoning to force offices in a confined area which can benefit a DT in those cities. Houston central is moving both north and west as the center of the city is moving and evolving

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM

Center is not moving..expanding yes.. most dt were created for logical reasons..Houston dt was due to access to the waterways. At first the bayou now the ship channels

Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
We live in a global economy. Once we get out of the idea that we live in a bubble, things might change. Parking is cheap here, whether Houstonians know it, don't know it, like it or not. And while many people think they know what causes homelessness, they're usually misinformed, as it's more than just drug use.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 01-22-2013 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
We live in a global economy. Once we get out of the idea that we live in a bubble, things might change. Parking is cheap here, whether Houstonians know it, don't know it, like it or not. And while many people think they know what causes homelessness, they're usually misinformed, as it's more than just drug use.
The majority of homeless suffer from a form of mental illness due to poor funding most cities lack the resources to proved round the clock care that most of them need..it not what people think.
belive it or not they actually have done studies into these things..few homeless have drug abuse problems and even fewer choose to be. The second largest reason is employment related reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: