Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,857,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRall View Post
Good points. Now back to my point. Apart from museums, are there places for me to bring children visiting on the weekends?

And, museums get old very fast.
It depends on where you're coming from and what activities you like.
So... can you elaborate on these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,139,094 times
Quote:
Good points. Now back to my point. Apart from museums, are there places for me to bring children visiting on the weekends?

Monster Jam was two weeks ago and there's another one in February, the Houston Auto show is on this weekend, the Houston Arboretum is having a free family day too with live owls for the kids to see. The Rockets are playing Sat night for $10 a ticket (worth more? likely not!) Lady Gaga is playing next weekend. We really like crawling all over the USS Texas, ok me especially, and at some point I would like to kayak down the Buffalo Bayou although not sure I'd do the tour or just do it.

Sometimes I just like taking the kids out exploring - I google map Houston and look a park or something we haven't been to before and check it out but they're young so easily amused. That's how I found a frisbee golf park just of Beltway 8, pretty cool. Not to mention with the great weather this weekend there were FOUR frisbee football games going on at the same time at Bendwood Park.

No wonder I haven't gotten around to taking up tennis at the local club...

It's a city of 6.2M, how hard can it be??

Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM

286 posts, read 555,875 times
monthly weather data, not sure what's with everyone complaining about the heat considering there is something called air conditioning. Texas tint laws are lax and getting an automobile with a lighter exterior and interior will go a long way. For those who can afford it luxury vehicles have IR coated windows and retractable sunshades.

Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
I have to agree with this. I drive every workday in the wee hours of the morning to the so-called unsafest area of Houston for 8+ years. I have never been approached, or had been a victim of a crime at my work. I am aware of my surrounding and always alert. Unless you roll up in a ultra pricey machine and dress like a pimp, you will be a target.
City is safe if you live in a good area. Of course sometimes bad things happen even in good areas just like last night.
Kingwood man shot multiple times, possibly by would-be carjackers, while driving to airport | abc13.com

Biggest problem with Houston is the utter lack of zoning, most everything is either Houston or extraterritorial Houston (unincorportated). This isn't a problem the Dallas area.

And Houston will inevitably get hit by a nasty hurricane sometime in the coming decades.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
lol, I know many people who've lived in NYC their entire lives and haven't visted much of anything, I've literally seen more tourist attractions in NYC then they have.

Houston has the museum district, San Jacinto museum, theater district, sports veneus, the Downtown aquarium, random parks, + NASA and Moody Gardens.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,957,254 times
Quote:
Apart from museums and museums, what theme parks does Houston have? Where else can you bring your children to for a weekend visit?
No theme parks here at all.

There are rides at the Kemah Boardwalk though
Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops!

The Downtown Aquarium has some rides, but imo, it is expensive for what it is. It is pretty boring. I actually like real aquariums like the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (no rides, but a great place anyway).
Downtown Aquarium - Houston, TX

Beaches are in Galveston which is not close either.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,773,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No theme parks here at all.

There are rides at the Kemah Boardwalk though
Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops!

The Downtown Aquarium has some rides, but imo, it is expensive for what it is. It is pretty boring. I actually like real aquariums like the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (no rides, but a great place anyway).
Downtown Aquarium - Houston, TX

Beaches are in Galveston which is not close either.

Does Chicago have NASA?

I'll take NASA over a theme park any day. But then again, I'm not 12 years old.

I went to college in Gainesville,FL. Ninety minutes from the theme park capital of the world. In 3 years I went one time and that was with some friends to a Halloween event at Universal Studios.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,667,901 times
I am not going to touch the "troll" topic, but I have three kids, ages 9, 7 and 3 and we do not want for activities and places to take the kids. Houston has a ton to offer families. Living in Houston is not boring for children and families, that is for sure!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,461,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I can't think of anything appealing about Sugarland. It's flat, the trees are tiny. Why would you move there?
OMG you're back in the H-Town that you loath so much
Wow I can't imagine that you would ever consider moving back there after the flame wars you had with me for cheerleading Houston and you just bashing it
I guess the grass was not so much greener in Hawaii.

Anyway OP I am the reverse of your situation (meaning I moved to CA from TX) and I think the things that will stand out right away to you are the following (in no particular order)

Kind people
No State Income Tax
No SDI Tax
No large vehicle registration fees year after year
Much Lower COL
Humid and Hot when the summer rolls around
Outstanding Top Quality Restaurant Scene
Not a backwards place as most Californians that have no clue about TX think
You can use your cell phone while driving unless you are in a school zone...but don't use it if you are one of those who can't chew gum and tie your shoe strings at the same time!
Fast Impatient Drivers...but no different than what you see in CA.
Less government control over your life
Death penalty is actually enforced
Over all more financial freedom
Better Economy
Outstanding Texas Medical Center
Culturally Diverse
Unions do not control the State government!!!!!!
Bill Boards
No quality public transit system
Misquotes
Flying Roaches
No compost or recycling bins
Dealing with the DMV is worse only in the fact that you can't make an appointment...just get there early!

No nature

Last edited by TVC15; 01-24-2013 at 02:31 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,773,800 times
Flying roaches? What the heck are those? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston