Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM

7,904 posts, read 11,497,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I understand what you mean but the OP also had concerns about race:
"77079 area homes left me with the impression that these neighborhoods are comprised mainly of white, upper-middle class, college educated young families and retirees. Is this correct? Will an Asian person moving here feel somewhat isolated from the rest of the community? "

Most of 70779 isn't an expat community. You lived in Fleetwood in 77079, it's a completely different animal and not representative of most of the zip code. It's similar to 77077, rich in cultural diversity (not so much racially) because of O&G expats. 77077 or Fleetwood would be a great fit for the OP but the schools probably aren't going to appeal to her.

I think it's fair to be clear about 77079's diversity in terms of where it occurs.

Diversity is here:
West of the O&G buildings has a good amount of expats. They often have paid private tuition so they like the lower home prices down that way where schools aren't driving up prices in same way as the SBISD area.

Diversity isn't here:
Dairy Ashford to Beltway 8. It's home to 2nd/3rd generation Houston families & is at least 93% white. Lol, when Pei Wei Asian Diner came to the area a few years ago it was the big cultural experience of the hood.

The areas the OP asked about in West Memorial's 77079 & Memorial proper in 77024 are the least culturally/racially diverse areas of the city. The the diverse families in the townhomes/condo's rarely mix socially with the neighborhood kids. Like it or dislike it, it is what it is.
OP was one the saying diversity was mental as much as skin color. My response was to that point...where the issue or concerns is more than skin color. I lived in this area...not the SBISD portion but the KISD portion which is where I was recommending for consideration. The area I lived in was full of global expats. Thanks for your comments but you missed the context of OP's clarification which I was addressing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,601,119 times
Regardless of the lack mental diversity and the being "saddened" by a neighborhood having 90% of one race, something you will find in any direction in this city among many races,the OP's work location and choices for living/house locations don't really make sense. Eh mate?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM

7,904 posts, read 11,497,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Regardless of the lack mental diversity and the being "saddened" by a neighborhood having 90% of one race, something you will find in any direction in this city among many races,the OP's work location and choices for living/house locations don't really make sense. Eh mate?
Maybe not to you, I made that drive from western 77079 to the office areas near the airport for 20 years... I worked downtown when I was transferred to Houston from NJ. My employer had work locations all over the city and this was my choice for a location that would work best for any of those locations as I was subject to transfer while living in 77079. Some us look past the first job but some do not... I cant make that decision for OP but am providing my experience to the question they raised...

If I wasn't worried about a relocation within Houston and worked at the location OP mentioned, Id move to the Woodlands in today's Houston. OP decision is where we are trying to help with. I dont get your point about the racial mix all over Houston, it is a more diverse and integrated city than most in the US. OP stated an interest in diversity of neighbors beyond the racial element alone... I stand by my advice. what is yours for OP?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,601,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
what is yours for OP?
Already stated, and as always ..live where you work! And near the schools. The front part of the Woodlands has virtually the same demographics and a 15 minute drive on the Hardy. And with the arrival of Exxon, the OP will get more of the type of diversity they want. But of course that got ignored.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-22-2013 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Exxon

Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,510,093 times
You better hope nobody from abroad reads this BS thread. How embarrassing. In no other country on this planet such a redicilous question would even be asked in the first place.
7 pages of loony bin level talk.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Already stated, and as always ..live where you work!
Overrated.
I've lived 3 mins from work in the past and while there are benefits, there is something to be said about having a nice buffer to leave your work at work and your home at home.

Anyway, what you suggest isn't practical for everyone, esp if they have kids- unless you're personally volunteering to reach into your pockets to do some subsidizing.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,782,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You better hope nobody from abroad reads this BS thread. How embarrassing. In no other country on this planet such a redicilous question would even be asked in the first place.
7 pages of loony bin level talk.

I second that. Not only would no one in any other country in the world ask this question, but quite frankly, no one in this country would have either until a few years ago. Learn to get along with others is what I say.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,157,075 times
^^^I fail to see what the objection is.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM

164 posts, read 358,017 times
Here's a comment I received on this thread:

Quote:
please study up on this zip before suggesting an experience in a more diverse area like kingwood might be a similar experience to this particular zip code. The OP will be confused for a maid, immigrant labor worker and never an equal neighbor.
I'll overlook the misunderstanding on my original post, but come on. If you're a minority and live in a predominantly white neighborhood, all of a sudden, you're automatically a maid or immigrant labor worker? Not going to lie; it's kind of appalling.

My early childhood was spent in that area, and I find it hard to believe that borderline discrimination is prevalent there (then again, things do change...). We never felt like we were less than an equal neighbor, and the community was welcoming - even though we weren't white and pretty much one of the few minority families. I played with neighborhood kids! Even babysat for them when I got older! But maybe I was demonstrating maid tendencies there.

I think it's already been hashed out, but diversity isn't just about race. I grew up overseas in very diverse areas, and I can tell you that many people kept to themselves and didn't interact with people outside of their ethnicity for various (sometimes questionable) reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston