Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times

Advertisements

Anyone here live in this zip? I think this is where we'll direct our next move. What I need are great schools, well established neighborhood, shopping, and a good investment opportunity helps too. Can't go over $350k for 4 bedroom home. A fixer is fine if the price is lower than that. One commute is to Hwy 6 & Bissonet, and the other is to the Medical Center. Good schools (elementary in particular) are the #1 priority, with safety, commute and good investment opportunity coming in next. Any feedback in particular on the subdivisions of Thornwood, Fleetwood, Barker's Landing? Is there a park-and-ride anywhere around there with bus service to the Medical Center?

Have already lived in Sugar Land, it's too far from all of our friends and a bit overpriced in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 11:26 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
350 is about the price of a fixer upper in 77079 now, unless you want to go to Barkers Landing, which is KATY ISD.

If you can find something in Nottingham Forest, which is Spring Branch ISD, it would be well worth it. Thornwood is another one that's taking off, however only half of is is Spring Branch ISD.

It's a great area, always has been a great area and it's taking off again thanks to the Energy Corridor build out and CityCentre at the Beltway. It's urban-suburban, yet extremely quiet back down by the bayou. Great neighborhoods and strong HOAs.

I think People take the 131, Memorial Express, and connect to another bus for the Med. Center. Park and ride is over at Addicks road.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-09-2008 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
350 is about the price of a fixer upper in 77079 now, unless you want to go to Barkers Landing, which is KATY ISD.

If you can find something in Nottingham Forest, which is Spring Branch ISD, it would be well worth it. Thornwood is another one that's taking off, however only half of is is Spring Branch ISD.

It's a great area, always has been a great area and it's taking off again thanks to the Energy Corridor build out and CityCentre at the Beltway. It's urban-suburban, yet extremely quiet back down by the bayou. Great neighborhoods and strong HOAs.

I think People take the 131, Memorial Express, and connect to another bus for the Med. Center. Park and ride is over at Addicks road.
Thanks so much for the info. As far as the school district, Spring Branch ISD or Katy ISD doesn't matter to me, as long as the schools are good... which they do seem to be on paper. We've got a large family (5 of us) so wherever we could get more house for the money would be best, I'm thinking that would be the places further west and closer to Hwy 6?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Barkers Landing and Fleetwood are good, yet they haven't had the same level of appreciation as those that areas east of Eldridge and especially east of Dairy Ashford. Spring Branch ISD seems to increase the property value greatly. Either way, anything in that zip code is a good place to live.

Problem with Barkers and Fleetwood is that you have to go on the freeway and into Katy to get to the High School and Junior High, whihc if the kids are driving the car is a little scary. The bus would be safer, and I think most that live in that area use the bus system.

Thornwood would be a better "investment" house. It's already gone up 100k in the past year.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Thornwood is a great investment, EA is right. Really, anything along Memorial will be great. There are some terrific deals to be had in Nottingham West currently as they are starting to knock down some houses there and put up some pretty elaborate places. I'm not a fan of McMansions, but for sheer property value, it's a great time to get in there.

We live in 77079 and hubby works in the Medical Center. The Addicks Park-n-Ride is just a few short minutes away, and the 298 will take you directly to the Medical Center. The 131 Memorial Express will take you downtown, where you can pick up the train to the med center.

It's a wonderful area.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

WWYD in our situation:
We have 3 young children.
It's looking like we could look more west (Fleetwood, Barker's Landing) and probably get a large, 4 bdrm 3 bath home. We'd have Katy ISD schools.
Or, we could look more east (Nottingham, Thornwood) and probably have to settle for a smaller, older, 4 bdrm 2 bath home. Spring Branch ISD and probably better resale. My concern would be a family of 5 trying to share only 2 bathrooms once the kids get older... I could see that being problematic down the road. We certainly would like to avoid having to move again after only a few years.

If you were in our situation, WWYD?

Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,879 times
Quote:
If you were in our situation, WWYD?
The KISD schools are good, it's just that Memorial Parkway JH will be a haul (as will Taylor HS). Wolfe Elementary will be within walking distance though, so if elementary school is your main priority, you should be fine there.

The areas in '079 zoned to KISD may not be appreciating at the rate of the SBISD parts, but they area appreciating (and should continue to do so). Also, I believe the parts of Nottingham west of Kirkwood are also zoned to KISD.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM

No, KISD doesn't pick up untill after west of Eldridge.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:02 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
No, KISD doesn't pick up untill after west of Eldridge.
you are correct. I'm not sure where I heard that.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,795 times
If you live out there you will definitely want to use park and ride for the med center. I used to take my Mom to the med center from 77077 and fighting that traffic really wore on me after a while. Other neighborhoods to look at are Westchester and Wilchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston