Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Houston next weekend and would like to know about the latest places to be.

My scene is mixed so I am not against country, hip hop but my favorite is House Music. I've heard good things about Lumen Lounge in upper Kirby and I am a big fan of the Upper Kirby/Rice area lounges. But I can do a good bar on Wash Ave, Montrose/West., Museum District or anywhere.

Any recommendations guys? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
I'm new to Houston, and have been searching for a good nightlife spot. It's been hard, but I finally got a spot I like:

Proxima (Next) - Off downtown. A combination of pop, hip hop, and reggaeton but mostly hip hop when I was there. The crowd is mostly latino with some whites and blacks.

Some honorable mentions:

TOC bar-downtown as well. Mostly hip hop. The scene was mostly black. My complaints was the cover charge and the fact I got in a fight with the bouncers and was eventually kicked out because of my red detroit hat (too ghetto apparently) even though I saw other people with hats.

Babilonia Discoteque-Gufton. Mostly salsa, bachata, reggaeton here. Just about all latino here. Make sure you know how to speak spanish and how to properly dancing (no one grinds here, or almost no one grinds here). Really approachable girls otherwise.

I was in Rich's, and it was empty. Might need to go again. It's supposed to be a scene for house music but it was featuring jungle beats when I was there. Crowd is mostly white/asian. Maybe I hit it on a wrong day, will try again. Gigantic club though.

Roof top bar - top 40s. Nice place to chill, having expensive drinks over looking Houston. Mixed crowd here.

Pub fiction - mostly white and asian. Long line for some reason. Live band outside, top 40s inside. Crowded.

Cafe Copacabana - Mostly latino (next to Proxima). Decent crowd but small, almost unused dance floor when I was there. Felt cliquish to me but will go again. Top 40s - reggaeton - hip hop.

Escobar - very small. But good vibe otherwise. Top 40s- reggaeton. Latino.

I'm still exploring, I was in a bar in rice village (make sure to hit the oh my Gogi truck afterwards, delicious ). Will check out the place you mentioned, looking for an electronic club here. Hip hop/house/reggaeton are my favorites and I go to either or depending on mood.

Last edited by zombieApocExtraordinaire; 12-16-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 PM

When I was in Houston I would usually go to hole in the wall lounges. I would go to:

Boheme off fairview in Montrose

The Flat off California St.

Etro Lounge

Red Room in Upper Kirby

Fox Hollow off Washington

Numbers electro industrial night

Pub Fiction and Howl at the Moon

The Hudson near Rice

Are these places still good? Any new places? What about Uchi?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
The only place on that list I've been to is Pub Fiction.

It's packed, it has live music, and a lively crowd. Other than it isn't my scene. Don't care much for the music but you can probably glance at my list above and get a picture at what kind of places I like.

At Proxima, on the second floor, they have a narrow hallway with an elevated platform where gogo dancers dance. Well at one point they left and regular girls with their friends got up and started doing a show.

A sexy latina got up and she really could dance. But she was working the wall real sensual. At one point me and my friends were feeling her up, her skirt ran up over her waist and after a while she was just in underwear, and she began gyrating that butt of hers in our faces. She was basically a stripper right then and there and the club promoters had no problem with it. Even were taking pictures.

Good times, I don't think you can beat that vibe if you're out to have some mindless fun.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,258 times
Are you looking for quality House Music or Mainstream Dance Music?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,529 times
how about jazz music.. nothing loud..

Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
how about jazz music.. nothing loud..
Red Cat Jazz Cafe

Catbirds

Brasils

Boheme

Continental Club

That's just a few but Houston has a great jazz scene.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Houston is great for hip hop r&b neo soul and African American style New York Chicago house music. Its probably the most underground thing houston has

Old 12-18-2012, 02:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Red Cat Jazz Cafe

Catbirds

Brasils

Boheme

Continental Club

That's just a few but Houston has a great jazz scene.
huh? Catbirds, Brasil, and Boheme don't have live music.

Cezanne (upstairs Black Lab)
The Big Easy

Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Fitzgerald's
The Concert Pub(Galleria)
Super Happy Fun Land
Rudyard's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston