Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,811,356 times

Advertisements

you are a local Houston african american PLEASE join the bone marrow registry. Is really easy and you could actualy save this girls life.

Save Valaria Fenderson » July is African American Bone Marrow Awareness Month

I am just spreading the word so others can join the registry so please don't kill this thread for whatever lame rules that you may think I've violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM

18,177 posts, read 25,420,885 times
Since I don't believe in races,
I need clear scientific proof that people have to get bone marrow transplant from a person of the same race.

I'm trying to find it, and all I'm reading is "People are more likely to find a match in their ethnic group"

Last edited by Dopo; 07-12-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM

18,177 posts, read 25,420,885 times
Just like I thought,
race is not a factor, but instead, ethnic groups ...
in other words, groups of people with the same genes (nowhere close to "race")
There's many people of the same "race" that have extremely different genes,
take for example Italians and Swedish or Nigerian and Jamaican.

In the same way, the ideal case is a person that comes from an inbred family (no matter the race) and everybody has the same genes.

"When fighting leukemia, evolutionary history matters"

Quote:

... Because of this, the genetic match between donor and recipient in a marrow or blood stem cell transplant must be very close. Otherwise, the transplanted donor cells may start making cells that attack the recipient's body. There is a group of genes that matter most in terms of whether the transplanted cells will thrive in their new body or whether they will cause major problems for the patient. These genes are called Human Leukocyte Antigens — HLA genes for short. The closer the genetic match between the donor's and recipient's versions of the HLA genes, the more likely the transplant will go smoothly and be successful.

What are the odds of finding a match in the registry? The answer depends on one's evolutionary history. That's because, as with the rest of the human genome, HLA genes have diverged over the past 60,000 years as human populations migrated out of Africa and spread over the globe. In that process, different populations faced different pathogens and experienced natural selection favoring different gene versions. Because of this, particular HLA gene versions are much more common in some populations than in others. This means that a patient's best chance of finding a match is in someone with a similar evolutionary history.

To further complicate matters, some ethnic groups have more diversity at their HLA genes than others, and more diverse genes mean that it's harder to find a match, even within one's own ethnic group. In general, east African populations have the highest levels of genetic variation at their HLA genes, and populations further from Africa have lower levels. So, for example, people from the Middle East (which is a short jaunt from East Africa) tend to have higher levels of HLA diversity than Pacific Islander populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: