Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:31 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,779,830 times

Advertisements

...What's wrong with this picture?

Following boys' deaths, calls for better apartment inspections in Houston | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080717_tj_aptinspections.672dee55.html - broken link)

Thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:58 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,845,369 times
Horrible. Something definitely needs to change as the current system appears to be broken.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:08 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,846,350 times
Oh don't pull my cord on this one...

Before they do any additional codes or regulations, they need to get serious about hiring enough neighborhood protection officers to enforce the rules we already have, because it is not happening.

Kudos to Peter Brown for trying to do something with this.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,535,924 times
Problem is if they are going to enforce all these code violations, slumlords will majorly raise rents and remodel...then the current residents will move on..and most likely out of town where they can find cheap rent.

It's kinda a catch 22.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,238,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Problem is if they are going to enforce all these code violations, slumlords will majorly raise rents and remodel...then the current residents will move on..and most likely out of town where they can find cheap rent.

It's kinda a catch 22.
Yep! They will move to the unincorporated areas
and since counties cannot make rules or regulations folks will have to wait years for the Texas legislature to get off their >>>> and pass legislation which would allow the counties to create rules or they would have to create a commission of some sort to do it...maybe assign it to the health dept.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

It's kinda a catch 22.

If the market will bear a higher rent, the landlords are already charging it. If they could raise rents they would have already done it. If the market won't bear it, they won't be able to get it regardless of what their expenses are.

Last edited by modster; 07-20-2008 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,779,830 times
It just amaze me that a city this big could still be stuck in the stone ages when it come to certain things. I would never see this kind of stuff regarding the apartments situation in San Diego. I remember when I first moved here some guy at work tried to explain to me that Houston city officials still very much operate on the "Good ole boy code"

Since I've been here I would say from the stuff I've seen from the Justice department to the city hall scandal I would rate the city officials a "D minus"

"HOUSTON -- There are 2,500 apartment complexes in the city of Houston. Those complexes are home to more than one million people.

So, how many city inspectors are there to inspect those complexes? 10"
This quote says it all

Last edited by usc619; 07-20-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:19 PM

100 posts, read 392,871 times
Wow.

There is a ton of sub-par construction when it comes to rental housing in Houston. I think a lot of this has to do with the timeframe Houston experienced it's "boom".

The area along I-10 between Mobile, Alabama and Houston seem to hit that magic point in the 1970s....when much of the construction and architectural styles were cheap and cheesy. Then, many of those neighborhoods died and changed dramatically during the oil bust, which left many of those buildings in rough condition.

The system isn't completely broken though. Houston has little or no "homestead exemption", which is created by a particular party to keep low income voters in certain districts. I'm familiar with this form of political stabalization from my living in New Orleans and Atlanta. Houston's system makes it difficult to afford to live in very prime locations for fixed income families and retirees...who sell their property and move to a cheaper suburb or lower income part of town while more dense private development is naturally encouraged in the city center. Houston also has it's act together since it's willing to annex land around it to keep it's tax base here. Atlanta refuses to do this because the demographic makeup secures the political future of Atlanta's city government, who doesn't want anything to change (which is why you have a city of half a million in an area with 4 million people).

So the housing situation in Houston and Texas is, I think, ahead of the curve when compared to the rest of the country despite many's frustration with the lack of zoning in the region- which is a ploy to promote investment and development...it works. Everything eventually evens out. As there is more demand in one area, older housing will be torn down and replaced with higher density construction, which forces the city to upgrade the infrastructure constantly...and they can afford to do so because it's difficult to cheat on property taxes.

It's a great system, and puts Houston in a perpetual state of privatized urban renewal- it's especially powerful tool with Houston's lax zoning.
That's the end of my "appreciation for Houston" section.

More inspectors are probably needed, however, because Houston is full of sprawling neighborhoods that were built because the land was affordable back in 1980. These neighborhoods, as they age, have no draw to new investments since suburbanites move farther out and DINCs stay closer to the city center. They are like slummy suburbs...I like to call it "no man's land"..and you can see this trend in Houston about 10 years before you see it in the rest of America because of the rapid self-renewal process.

It's a city of at least 3 million people....I'd think that more than 10 inspectors are warranted and worth the investment- and that goes with fire and sewer inspection too.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 PM

759 posts, read 3,188,874 times
Some of the politicians are the biggest owners of the slums:
Hubert Vo , His Slums specialize in housing illegals, because they do not complain. I remember when they confronted him about it and he started to dance like a little B**** Must be nice living in that 5M+ house knowing that many of the slums he owns would never pass inspection.

Houston Democratic State Representative Hubert Vo Owns Slum Property « Texas Liberal

Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 PM

I know everybody that has been in and out of Hobby has seen that one complex on Broadway right by Bellfort, the one that is really, really bad. Thai Xuan Village. It is actually condos now. But anyway when we complained to Mayor White about the deplorable conditions there he admitted that the complex was not up to code and couldn't be brought up to code. He basically refused to enforce the existing codes on it because he didn't want to disperse the people living there. The neighborhood protection officer then got up and tried to "explain" how nice the people living there were, like that was an excuse for the condition of the building. I never did understand the concept of that one.

After the Houston Press ran another story on the problems there the Mayor, in his infinite wisdom, appointed Hubert Vo in charge of working with the complex to "clean it up."

If you have been down Broadway lately then you have seen the "after" picture of that little effort. Disgraceful.

I'm not bitter.

What a disgrace for an "entrance gate" to Houston for people coming and going from Hobby Airport. But even when a place clearly doesn't meet codes, if the right people like you, it apparently doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston