Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 11,474 times

Advertisements

I’ve been spending so much of my time looking for a home lately. I have toured Cole Crossing, Still Water, Bridge Land, Blackhorse Ranch South, and Cypress Creek Lake Section 5. All these new communities look great to me, but I still feel like they are a little bit far away from Beltway 8 and Clay Road where I work. I came across a small community Windhaven yesterday, it is adjacent to Cy-Fair College and Harris County Public Library, and the sports stadium Berry Center just sits in front of it and I really like one of their floor plans priced at $215k. Do you guys think this is a good location? Is Dr. Horton a good builder to work with? Your advices are very appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
D.R. Horton is a so-so builder with a poor reputation. That said, a lot of what determines if your house is built well is the actual construction supervisor for that project, so a good one can save you, along with a good phase inspection.If you really like the location or the plan ask for the name of the supervisor and what houses he built in the neighborhood then ask those people if they have had problems with their house.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 11,474 times
Thank you so much, Chris_ut !!!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 29,298 times
Have you continued your inquiry into Windhaven? We just discovered it the other day. It seems like a great area without the expense of Towne Lake and the questionable state of Lone Oak right next door.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
D.R. Horton is a so-so builder with a poor reputation. That said, a lot of what determines if your house is built well is the actual construction supervisor for that project, so a good one can save you, along with a good phase inspection.If you really like the location or the plan ask for the name of the supervisor and what houses he built in the neighborhood then ask those people if they have had problems with their house.
We had a good construction supervisor...We were also at our house quite frequently as it was being built. What we liked about DR Horton was their floor plans and they saved some old trees from our lot so we actually have a shaded backyard. I think, like with any other builder, just be on top of it, & get things like changes you want done, in writing, and like with all builders, if things need to be fixed do them before closing because after closing you are not a top priority (learned that from another friend with a different builder). Good luck!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM

93 posts, read 417,977 times
Dr.Horton is a decent builder to work with. You can find good and bad things about them just like any other builder. Like mentioned above, talk to other people that have worked with them and see if they have had any problems. Good luck with your new home purchase.

~Mark

Old 08-11-2008, 05:04 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,753 times
Someone I know has one of Horton's houses. It has been an awful experience.
Like I say google the builder name and words like defects, problems etc. and see what you get.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,523 times
It really does depend on the construction supervisor. I just met the Windhaven Contruction Supervisor. I have just contracted on a home in Windhaven. Before I signed, I looked at every inch of house. As for Any house buying, it is aweful if you ask me. Floor Plans also make a difference in the quaility of build also.... Yeah everyone has an opinion in Builders, Everyone has got a friend with bad experience, Yes what you see is what you get...But dont be afraid to beat on sheetrock, climb in attic, inspect the roof....On any builder.....By Gosh your fixing to buy it.....

Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,210 times
I am considering purchasing a home in Windhaven. It seems like a great little neighborhood and with Town Lake being built down the street it seems like a decent investment. Does anybody know of any comparable neighborhoods/builders I should check out in the area? I work in the energy corridor area and really like the brick/stone/cedar type of homes that Windhaven offers.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,532 times
Default Wind Haven

We just bought a house and the same floor plan,from the price you inputted, and here is what I think. We love our house got it for about $20K cheaper than the listing and upgraded a few things. We bought a spec that was near completion. As for as the Super. out there, Jason, sorry and does not keep his word. Maybe our fault for trusting that he would keep his word about minor repairs. The people, our neighbors, are outstanding. We've had several people to stop by to introduce themselves and looking forward, once we get settled, to mingle with them. Jason, the super, well I have nothing nice to say about him at this point. The sales persons, Rigio and Alyssa, are great and try to get you just about everything under the moon, and they do deliver on their words. I have had to call Jason's Boss, Tino, several times about things that should have been done from our last walk that wasn't done when we got to closing. I wouldn't not buy the home but I would stay on top of him like white on rice, to make sure he delivers what he says he will. I hope this helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston