Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 8,595 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying a house in Westheimer Lakes North that was built by DR Horton. It's about 5-6 years old. I was wondering if there is anyone on here owns/owned a DR Horton home in this area. Are you satisfied or have you had problems? I figured that after 5 years that any major problems should have started showing signs (but I guess you never know).

I've done a lot of research on them so far, and mostly it's all been negative. This is making me wonder if I should just look into other houses with a different builder. I know the quality depends on the actual people who built the house, since local crews are hired. And ratings seem to vary between different states and communities.

I found some old threads on here where people in WLN were happy with their DR Horton homes, but all posts were a few years old so I was hoping for more up to date information.

Thanks for any and all help on this. I just don't want to go forward with this if many people in the area are having issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,814 times
I.would ask the neighbors.
Some people have good reviews, and some suck.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,775 times
You can look up any neighborhood in the same price range and you will find negative reviews. People want a Cinco Ranch or Cross Creek Ranch neighborhood and not willing to pay for it. Westheimer is a starting under 200k price range and you get what you pay for. You get good schools and a great surrounding area for a lower price than the nearby more upscale neighborhood.

Oh and had a DR Horton home when I lived in DFW and loved the home.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,619 times
I have 2 friends in Westheimer Lakes N that live in DR Horton homes ... Both built in 07. I have not heard any complaints. They are cheaper homes which equal cheaper finishes, etc... But the homes have stood up well

Old 06-24-2012, 01:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,579 times
I haven't had any clients complain about their DR Horton homes, but can tell you that DR Horton Homes have dropped in quality over the years.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:54 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,070 times
In the industry they are called Doctor Hurtin'

Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM

193 posts, read 340,234 times
Built by the best illegal immigrant labor money can't buy

Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM

833 posts, read 1,885,775 times
Main thing is get an inspection of the home to make sure everything is good on any home. No matter how good any build may be it is still built by humans and short cuts can be taken. However being a used home if the previous home owners followed threw on any issues then the inspection should come up good with only a few minor issues. Any inspection that comes up prefect get another one as it is the inspectors job to find every little thing. I had a house that I sold and the garage light bulb was out and because he could not find any other issues he put that on the report with a couple of other very minor things.

The things that builders take short cuts on vs a million dollar home and a 200k home is the finishes which you see when you go threw the home like the counters, cabinets and faucets. You see all that stuff when you look at the home. But at the same time the person that bought the home when new could have upgraded a lot of the stuff. When I bought my home I changed out the cheap kitchen faucet for a nice one but I made sure the expensive stuff like kitchen cabinets, granite and appliances were of a good quality. Carpet I left at builder grade as in a couple of years when it wears out hardwoods will be put in.

Oh an another notes on Westheimer Lakes is several of the streets back directly up to Cinco Ranch and lead directly into Cinco and get cheaper taxes and HOA dues.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,929 times
Been living in a DR Horton home in WLN for three years now and have not had any major issues. Have not heard any complaints from neighbors either. Almost every builder who builds in this price range will have negative reviews to some extent. The problem is many people want a million dollar home on a $150k budget. Just doesn't work that way.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,070 times
Although not a fan of the Doctor. I do agree that people need to understand that these big builders are called "production" builders for a reason. They buy in bulk..etc, with limited choices. There is a reason you can get a 4000 sq ft home for 70 bucks per square foot. There is also a reason why custom builds are 110 per square foot and up. If you want more choices, nicer finishes, custom changes, changes in the middle of the process....then you pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston