Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,155,817 times

Advertisements

Taxes dampen enthusiasm for Woodlands incorporation - Houston Chronicle this got skipped over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,036,965 times
Oh well. Some Woodlands folks were a bit overzealous about incorporating until they found out the costs

Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,155,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Oh well. Some Woodlands folks were a bit overzealous about incorporating until they found out the costs
Did they think birthing a city would be cheap ?

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 AM

385 posts, read 970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I think they didn't think.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 AM

24,097 posts, read 15,206,653 times
This does not compute.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,394,869 times
Quote:
Same old story,
people wanting to live in the city, enjoy the things from the city, but want to pay the taxes of a farming county.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM

391 posts, read 924,575 times
Amazes me how people in unincorporated areas want all the services and amenities of a city, but don't want to pay the additional taxes for them! That is the risk you run living in an unincorporated area... may start out cheap, but any city can gobble you up... just ask Kingwood how that feels!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,036,965 times
Quote:
The answer is below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
I think they didn't think.
They most certainly didn't think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Same old story,
people wanting to live in the city, enjoy the things from the city, but want to pay the taxes of a farming county.
I know right. They exist because of Houston, how do they expect to have their cake forever and keep eating it forever too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Amazes me how people in unincorporated areas want all the services and amenities of a city, but don't want to pay the additional taxes for them! That is the risk you run living in an unincorporated area... may start out cheap, but any city can gobble you up... just ask Kingwood how that feels!
That's just how Texas laws go. If you set up shop in Houston's Territory, avail yourself of the benefits of being located therein, then it means you are courting the possibility of becoming part of the city one day. After you become huge and feel you can stand alone, you can't say "oh no no, we don't want to be an official part of it anymore"

I kinda wish they had found out about the taxes after they had incorporated.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM

7,899 posts, read 11,459,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The answer is below:

They most certainly didn't think

I know right. They exist because of Houston, how do they expect to have their cake forever and keep eating it forever too.

That's just how Texas laws go. If you set up shop in Houston's Territory, avail yourself of the benefits of being located therein, then it means you are courting the possibility of becoming part of the city one day. After you become huge and feel you can stand alone, you can't say "oh no no, we don't want to be an official part of it anymore"

I kinda wish they had found out about the taxes after they had incorporated.
Weston Lakes incorporated a few years ago and discovered the higher cost and taxes after the fact. I dont keep track of what happened since this news broke.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,971,161 times
Alot of those costs associated with incorporating are one time coats to establish the municipality. Why can't The Woodlands pass a bond and pay it off over 20 years rather than jack up the rates 70% in year one? Nothing in the article indicated a carrying load increase, just costs associated with the incorporation and establishmen of the municipality. Seems very misleading to say the cost is high. The benefit would vastly outweigh the costs if they were annexed and had to deal with city hall if their services were poor. Granted they don't right now so they're fat and happy letting the county and MUD deal with it, but the point of incorporation is to remove the threat of annexation for good and allow the township to focus on it's own internal growth. If they wait longer and grow more, the COH will increase the ransom to let them out of the ETJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston