Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Are you saying the people of the community who pay taxes (very high taxes I might add) shouldn't have a say in what businesses they want in their community? Come on now...
I actually agree with that, I just think there's a lot of hypocracy
The people that claim to be in favor of "economic freedom" (mostly suburbs) are the first ones to pass laws banning certain businesses.
And when people in the inner city do the same, everybody goes crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What about the Walmart in Sterling Ridge? The parkway and 2978
That Walmart is in Magnolia, TX

Murphy USA - 30202 FM-2978 - Magnolia, TX - Houston Gas Prices

Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Might be wrong, but i recall the land that that walmart sits on was owned by the woodlands development co., Therefore part of the master plan. The woodlands real mailing address for a majority of it is Spring, some of the back part, along 2978,would most likely be Magnolia. the woodland was, or still is, just a development, not a physical town.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 07-20-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Might be wrong, but i recall the land that that walmart sits on was owned by the woodlands development co., Therefore part of the master plan. The woodlands real mailing address for a majority of it is Spring, some of the back part, along 2978,would most likely be Magnolia. the woodland was, or still is, just a development, not a physical town.
You might be right,
but I don't think is a coincidence that all the Walmarts are just outside of The Woodlands.
So there's a pretty good chance that I'm right.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I see there are a lot of people here who don't understand economics or maybe even business 101. The reason large cities in general have high end restaurants or more expensive "independent" type places is because cities in general have a higher percentage of single or married people without kids. In other words, they have more disposable income. That demographic can afford to pay $30 to $50 for a meal because it's usually just one or two people they are paying for. When you are married and have kids you have far less disposable income. Plus going to eat often means you are paying for 4 or 5 people. At $40 a pop, that could be $200 for one meal!!!! Seriously, in this economy that is a non starter. Families don't go out to dinner to have a meaningful cultural experience, they go out to eat just to get out of the house and give mom the night off. They want cheap, convenient and predictable.

Second, markets are pretty efficient. If there was huge demand for a certain type of place, trust me, it would be built. The reason those types of restaraunts don't exist in the Woodlands is because the people don't want them. It's that simple. There is no law banning those types of places. They just would not stay in business.

Let me ask you guys something. Would you invest your savings, your hard earned money in a independent restaurant in the Woodlands? Or would you put make that investment in an area in the city with a high end demographic, preferably where a lot of single people live where you get a lot of date traffic.

Of course no one wants to invest their own money and take the risk, they want someone else to do it. They just want the upside of having a nice place they can go to. Who cares if the owner goes down in flames. There is no conspiracy here, the restaurateur business is very formulaic. It's all about money. This whole "giving back to the community" is crap because if the place goes under, they have nothing to give back! LOL.
This is so logical and well thought out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston