Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 AM

2,945 posts, read 5,017,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
This whole thread assumes we don't want them. Don't take away my Taco Hell, DQ and Popeye's, dammit!

Ronnie
LOL, they can take away Taco Bell but not Popeyes. Best fries at a chicken place.

I'd die if Hartz ever went out of business. No one makes rolls like that.

I know one thing, the need to open up more chain Jamba Juices. One on 2 on 1960. Really? There's literally a Starbucks every 5 blocks in this hot as hell city yet you can't make a cold smoothie shop every few feet too? Smoothie King is scarce too but it's powder filled and nasty. Jamba Juice is scarce like crazy in the Loop. Really don't like driving to the Galleria for a freaking smoothie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,978,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
LOL, they can take away Taco Bell but not Popeyes. Best fries at a chicken place.

I know one thing, the need to open up more chain Jamba Juices. One on 2 on 1960. Really? There's literally a Starbucks every 5 blocks in this hot as hell city yet you can't make a cold smoothie shop every few feet too? Smoothie King is scarce too but it's powder filled and nasty. Jamba Juice is scarce like crazy in the Loop. Really don't like driving to the Galleria for a freaking smoothie.
There is one in River Oaks at the end of the universe (W Gray and Shepherd).

Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,079,044 times
there is also one in rice village. i wouldnt call them scarce

Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM

18,202 posts, read 25,468,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
In theory it could very well be diverse:
Diversity depends on how you define it.
The Woodlands might have racial diversity,
but I guarantee that 90%+ of The Woodlands are christian, republicans who are afraid of being in Houston after the sun goes down.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,190,393 times
Quote:

I see jamba juices all over the places, there is one right across the street from the gallaria.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM

538 posts, read 1,368,706 times
Quote:

Forget Starbucks. I say we need a Marble Slab every five blocks. Finding one of those is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,499,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Everything you have said here is absolutely true, but we both know that the majority of white Americans have lost most of the customs of our ethnic heritage. Most of us are such a mix of ethnic heritages that that we really couldn't choose one specific ethnicity if we had to.
I guess it's all in the way you look at it. I think the important part of diversity is being around people who see things from a different perspective than you. So I value relationships with people who grew up in countries other than the US. Just having a different skin color in my book doesn't make diversity if they all have similar geographic, socioeconomic, and life experiences.

Having friends who grew up in Germany, Russia, France and Australia, even though they may (or may not) all have the same skin color is every bit as valuable as having friends of African American or Hispanic heritage. I think this is the thing about the Woodlands that I like...diversity even among the Caucasian crowd.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,017,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
there is also one in rice village. i wouldnt call them scarce
Up against Starbucks and a McDonald's they are scarce. This is Houston. Other than times between 7am and 9am I DON'T want any hot beverage especially coffee 10 months out of the year. Or anything coffee tasting because even if it's cold it I associate the coffee taste with piping hot.

In the Loop there's what 4? Count the Starbucks. Probably have to start adding toes too.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:03 PM

18,202 posts, read 25,468,840 times
Quote:
Or anything coffee tasting because even if it's cold it I associate the coffee taste with piping hot.
Try a McDonalds hazelnut ice coffee and you'll change your mind about that.
You can barely taste the coffee in it.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:31 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,079,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I guess it's all in the way you look at it. I think the important part of diversity is being around people who see things from a different perspective than you. So I value relationships with people who grew up in countries other than the US. Just having a different skin color in my book doesn't make diversity if they all have similar geographic, socioeconomic, and life experiences.

Having friends who grew up in Germany, Russia, France and Australia, even though they may (or may not) all have the same skin color is every bit as valuable as having friends of African American or Hispanic heritage. I think this is the thing about the Woodlands that I like...diversity even among the Caucasian crowd.
yes it is but you don't see it as being weird an area being 92% the same skin color in a city where white is nearly a minority? ....

i actually do think children need to be around people who look different and not just have the same perspective as a majority race or class from their X country. i like recounting the story of my nephew who saw his first black person at the age of 11. At Rammstein AFB in Germany the American guard was black and my nephew thought we had somehow driven to Africa (and then questioned why they were allowed guns). He clearly was not brought up amongst much diversity but after moving and experiencing more life he is better for his experiences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston