Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
yes it is but you don't see it as being weird an area being 92% the same skin color in a city where white is nearly a minority? ....
There are large swaths of Houston that are 92% white, black or Hispanic.. Is that weird, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,994,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
Forget Starbucks. I say we need a Marble Slab every five blocks. Finding one of those is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I thought they all closed down. Really finding an ice cream shop is hard. I see a Baskin Robbins every 45 minutes driving but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Try a McDonalds hazelnut ice coffee and you'll change your mind about that.
You can barely taste the coffee in it.
I might have to try that. MDs only gets my money on McFlurries or if I'm in a high blood pressure developing mood I'll order some fries, lol.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I thought they all closed down. Really finding an ice cream shop is hard. I see a Baskin Robbins every 45 minutes driving but that's about it.

The one at FM 1960 and TC Jester did, but the others that I know of (the few) are still alive and kicking.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,055,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
There are large swaths of Houston that are 92% white, black or Hispanic.. Is that weird, too?
yes

but a little easier to understand from new immigrant populations which is what history shows us

Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
yes

but a little easier to understand from new immigrant populations which is what history shows us
At least for Hispanic immigrants I can completely understand it. But otherwise, if whitey wants to live with whitey then so be it. I know first-hand, that's a major reason some people choose The Woodlands.

Also there was a comment about mom & pop businesses not surviving in the burbs. I can't speak for any other burb, but when I take a few minutes to look within the strip malls nestled between the neighborhoods here, there are plenty of independently owned businesses, most of which have been there a long time. Posts like these make me want to hop on the bike, break out the camera and put together a collage. If these don't exist in The Woodlands, it's a clientele thing more than it is a suburb thing.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,480,219 times
Quote:
yes it is but you don't see it as being weird an area being 92% the same skin color in a city where white is nearly a minority? ....
You are assuming that people are moving there BECAUSE of the skin color. I think many people move to the Woodlands because it is walkable, has many parks, it is family friendly (all the social activities designed for families) and they've done *something* to manage the extreme ugliness of the Houston area by not cutting down all the trees. At least that is why we are thinking about moving.

Do these types of things attract fewer families of color? I don't think so, not generally speaking, or at least not where I'm from it wouldn't. But the local culture of ethnic families might not be attracted to these types of amenities. There is some reason that The Woodlands is not attractive or attracting people of color, but I don't think it's because all the white people are prejudiced.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,480,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Also there was a comment about mom & pop businesses not surviving in the burbs. I can't speak for any other burb, but when I take a few minutes to look within the strip malls nestled between the neighborhoods here, there are plenty of independently owned businesses, most of which have been there a long time. Posts like these make me want to hop on the bike, break out the camera and put together a collage. If these don't exist in The Woodlands, it's a clientele thing more than it is a suburb thing.
I regularly grocery shop at Neal's Berry Farm. I know this isn't a restaurant, but it is a locally owned, mom and pop shop on Gosling Road...almost in the Woodlands. They appear to do a very good business. There is a huge market for locally owned and produced food in this area in both the grocery and the restaurant end. What about Hubble and Hudson's? They aren't a chain and they do very well. They have both a grocery and a restaurant.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,777 times
Some of you guys have made some pretty good points. I somewhat agree with the statement somebody made that white people move to the Woodlands because it has a lot of the things that (upper-class) whites value but not necessarily because it is mostly white. However, I am sure that being mostly white is a byproduct that not many people are bothered by. If it were, then not many of those people would be living there.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Some of you guys have made some pretty good points. I somewhat agree with the statement somebody made that white people move to the Woodlands because it has a lot of the things that (upper-class) whites value but not necessarily because it is mostly white. However, I am sure that being mostly white is a byproduct that not many people are bothered by. If it were, then not many of those people would be living there.
I rather call them "people that are annoyed or afraid of people that make minimum wage"
That would be a much more accurate stereotype.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
Where, exactly is "sazon latino" located? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston