Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM

89 posts, read 153,127 times

Advertisements

Yeah, so I did a search on Google...
There doesn't seem to be a University of Saint Thomas in Austin. You must mean the one in Houston (Montrose) then.
I, too, am wondering why you just don't live near the school
The "alternative lifestyle" thing...
Do you mean you're gay? That's the only thing I can think of. I guess you weren't aware of this, but Montrose is the gayborhood of Houston.
I live in Montrose myself. Believe me: EVERYONE living in the neighborhood will accept you.

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-08-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 AM

385 posts, read 969,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shani michelle View Post
I am looking for a place to live for myself and my dog. I am very liberal, but tolerant of all ways of thought. I attend grad school at the University of St. Thomas and work as a professional legal assistant.

Does anyone know where to find a place that is tolerant of people and dogs? I am from Austin and trying to find somewhere with like-minded people in the Houston area.
If I'm picking up the context clues correctly then I'm pretty sure what you're looking for is illegal in the US and you will have a hard time finding like minded individuals in Houston.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,730,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
If I'm picking up the context clues correctly then I'm pretty sure what you're looking for is illegal in the US and you will have a hard time finding like minded individuals in Houston.
Alternative lifestyles dude. Live and let live!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM

471 posts, read 1,608,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
You must mean the one in Houston (Montrose) then.
I, too, am wondering why you just don't live near the school :confused
+1

That part of Houston is almost like its own world, feels so much different than pretty much all the rest of the city. Though I worry all the upscale development that has been going on there lately is diluting the special quirky vibe of the area.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM

103 posts, read 136,495 times
So does Montrose tolerate "quirky" beastiality now?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:05 AM

168 posts, read 470,586 times
Quote:
I am looking for a place to live for myself and my dog. I am very liberal, but tolerant of all ways of thought. I attend grad school at the University of St. Thomas and work as a professional legal assistant.

Does anyone know where to find a place that is tolerant of people and dogs? I am from Austin and trying to find somewhere with like-minded people in the Houston area.
Oh you say your are 'very liberal?' Then the Montrose area is your best bet. Especially since University of St. Thomas is in it.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 PM

471 posts, read 1,608,944 times
Btw The annual Greek Festival is held near St. Thomas (if you like food and alcohol, you need to go! it's a lot of fun for only $5 per person [two years ago anyway]).

Plus there's two music stores in the area, remember those? Thousands of CDs, and vinyl too especially at Cactus Music, and the employees actually know what they are selling & like music vs. many people I've met in the music "departments" at the local Busted Buys who seemed to have been unwillingly dumped there with no proper training. And the other store, Soundwaves (http://soundwaves.com/a/ - broken link), also sells a lot of surf and skate gear & there's also a real coffee bar inside the store.

Speaking of coffee, a neat place to get that, or liquor-based drinkage if you're not into the black stuff, is the Agora coffehouse. It was literally a (two story) house until remodeled for commercial use and has a warm/comfortable atmosphere and sits right on Westheimer so you can go outside with your brew of choice and watch the world go by.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
how is that alternative living?

no, here in houston we are all a bunch of women and dog haters compared to Austin...

person attending a Catholic private university
What the hell is your problem? Are you a misogynist or just an *******?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM

173 posts, read 412,107 times
Quote:
What the hell is your problem? Are you a misogynist or just an *******?
uh yeah he was joking pretty sure.... of course your question is going to get those kind of responses. i mean come on.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 PM

18 posts, read 37,590 times
Well, if you're moving to Houston, you'll have to get used to the ignorance (refering to some above posters).

But where you'll be, you can probably avoid most of it on a daily basis.
Check this out for co-op alternative living. These people should point you in the right direction.
Cooperative Housing Houston | Facebook

A friend of a friend lives off Alabama and I forgot the cross street but a couple blocks from the Menil Collection/St. Thomas. She's an art grad student, loves the area, pays $600 for one bedroom apt (small building, neat neighbors, mature 25s ish). She has a small dog, maltese.

There's an HEB really close, Fiesta and cute food places. You'll miss Austin but this area will make the transition easier. Surprisingly Houston starts to grow on you and there are some pretty progressive/fun/interesting things to do. Houston has a lot of potential.

We've lived here for about 4yrs now. For perspective, we're San Marcos transplants, lol, lived there 8yrs. We're both 29, Anthropology major (me) and Education major with masters and our mini-schnauzer has two mommies.

BIGGEST PET PEEVE- people posting comments with nothing to say. If you can't be helpful, you're just taking up space and making the rest of us scroll through more pages than necessary.

Yes, I would actually like to learn something from reading posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: