Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,117 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I have a question..

For our area what type of assisted living facility do you feel there is the greatest need for: Young adults (ie: non-senior), female vs male only, a certain type of specialized care facility, a certain type of disorder facility (ie:eating), a home for minor or non-minor pregnant females, or perhaps a type of foster care home for special needs minors?

I WAS a medical professional that several years ago volunteered for an immunization through the Red Cross and developed a sequence of neurologic conditions and am now slowly loosing my vision from Multiple Schlerosis. It prevents my being able to do my previous job, however I have medical expertise and skills that I feel may be able to help start a "in need" facility outside of the Houston area where I reside. I have located a licensed facility for sale.. but am reaching out to you my peers for advice as to which direction I may be led to take it.

I am really passionate about assistance for younger adults as I am 36 and have three children under the age of 3.. and my husband is currently divorcing us... but am unsure whether families would send their younger adult a considerable distance from their homes to be cared for? The facility I have found (that I can afford) is in a small town outside of Houston...and is on acreage, near to a forest, and has a sort of Patch Adams feel to it. However, my question is: Do you guys think families nationwide would consider a facility such as this simply because of its unique nature?

Any advise would be so greatly appreciated! Unfortunately having been previously my families primary financial provider, and facing an upcoming divorce, I must also consider the ability of the facilities clientel to finance their care. Unfortunately in order for my idea to be successful, in an age where insurance companies are so limited in their coverages, most assisted living care is forced to be paid out of pocket. Although I truly wish an angel would endow me with a pot of gold for this facility (or home as I hope it would more closely resemble) to be both unique and free to those such as myself whom already suffer physical pain... I know that it can not be.. and because of this it's ability to be funded must also be considered when chosing the type of facility to open.

I hope to hear from all Houstonians and many many more ... as this will if not today be a question that could affect all of us!

God Bless you all, count your blessings and live each day to it's fullest because even the simplest things can so quickly become a daily challenge..and I wish none of you have to suffer the pain in understanding that statement completely...but if you already are, I truly hope that I can do something to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,749,307 times
Will send you a PM.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,835,018 times
If there are government funds to aid the senior living apartments/facilities, I would imagine there would be funds for disabled facilities as well.

Have you looked up information at https://www.disability.gov/. I am a disabled individual and had gone to this website many times for information. You may want to contact them about your plans. They would know much more than many of us. They can give you financial advises, structure requirements (ramps, door width for wheelchairs, etc.), regulations and more.

Wish you all the best and a hassle-free divorce.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 PM

The only govt. funds are a 50% tax credit towards the cost of making a home ADA compliant.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 PM
NTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
The only govt. funds are a 50% tax credit towards the cost of making a home ADA compliant.
Really? There's an apartment nearby that is accessible for disability. You'd need to be in the low income bracket in order to be qualified. Its management explained that part of their finance came from the government. Therefore, they had to comply with the income specified by the government. Years ago, I tried to get in there but I was over qualified. I'm not doubting your statement but I'm wondering how this apartment is doing it.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM

You are talking about funds for the residents to pay for their rent, I am talking about funds for the business owner to get heir facility started. There is a HUD program that will loan you money with only 10% down to start a facility but it has to be minimum 20 bed newly built facility and I assume OP is not planning to invest $1 million plus.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:48 PM
NTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
You are talking about funds for the residents to pay for their rent, I am talking about funds for the business owner to get heir facility started. There is a HUD program that will loan you money with only 10% down to start a facility but it has to be minimum 20 bed newly built facility and I assume OP is not planning to invest $1 million plus.
Ah, that could be it. I wasn't too cleared with her explanation. I didn't want to be nosy and so didn't asked any further. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,215,272 times
This isn't necessarily moiors, but I have wondered at the increase in special needs offspring and what happens as their parents age to the point of not being able to care for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: