Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times

Advertisements

That IS creepy. I wouldn't dare walk that area...even if I was with a couple of people. There's no telling who is hiding out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
That IS creepy. I wouldn't dare walk that area...even if I was with a couple of people. There's no telling who is hiding out there.
LOL! That area needs to be developed into something quickly.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
yeah, when I went I was creeped the creeped out. The lack of city noises that gets me. It is so darn quiet there.

Its crazy that this is right across the Bayou from this:

Oh and does anyone know what type of birds are these??

Saw them hanging out with some blue herons in the bayou

Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM

538 posts, read 1,362,615 times
Those look like White Egrets.

That's really creepy. I love urban exploration. If you really want to be creeped out, Google abandoned theme parks, or hospitals.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
Those look like White Egrets.

That's really creepy. I love urban exploration. If you really want to be creeped out, Google abandoned theme parks, or hospitals.
oh the abandoned hospitals do freak me out. Well hospitals freak me out whether they are active or abandoned, I just don't like the feeling.

I love urban exploration too. Love both sides (during construction, and after use/ abandonment)

I made this thread to sorta gauge how long it takes for nature to reclaim areas after human activity.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 AM

10 posts, read 12,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Superfund site???
No, Flood Control buyouts.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
LOL! That area needs to be developed into something quickly.
No, it is vacant because it is too flood prone to be developed.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Does anyone know anything about a neighborhood called Glen Forest Estates.
It used to be along I45 north of Greens Road and Greens Bayou. It used to be right before Earthman Cemetary before Ranking Road
Does anyone know what happened to it?

I was walking the other day and stumbled upon it. It is just completely deserted. Only streets are left.

It is kind of spooky to see a neighborhood with no houses, not a trace of humanity other than roads and bridges to nowhere. There are cul de sacs to nothing.

You can barely see where lots were.
No utility poles or wires. Nothing at all but neighborhood roads.

There are no street signs. the only reason I know what the hood was called is because it still shows up on maps.

Anyone who used to live near Greenspoint remember this area???

It seems to have been settled in the 1950's long before the Greenspoint economic boom and bust of the 80's.

I dunno, it sure spooked me that there is no life in that area. I would think after a year or two the area would be reclaimed by squirrels, coons, deer, etc, but I walked the entire hood and saw or heard nothing.

You can still see what used to be lawns resisting recolonization by native plants. man we really do screw up areas big time.
This neighborhood was purchased by the Harris County Flood Control District after Tropical Storm Allison due to severe flooding as a part of the TSARP and Greens Bayou improvements.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 11,579,521 times
This neighborhood has been cleaned up all the trees have been removed here is more info

Earthman Cemetery’s New Neighbor: A Neighborhood-Sized Hole by Greens Bayou | Swamplot

Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
I just found this place on google maps when I was looking at the Gunspoint/Greenspoint area and was wondering what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: