Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,851,178 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has had this thread for several years. I see Austin has one now, so I decided Houston ought to have one too. I lived in Houston from 1968-1976, so many of my memories are of places that have moved on or no longer exists.

The Domeshadows Night Club is a good example. I was a night club photographer there in 1969 and took lots of pics using a polaroid camera. None exist today.
However this pic comes from the domeshadows website:

One of my favorite memories is living in the Montrose area in 1974. I had a thread up on that subject. You have to go back in old threads to find it.

I stayed in the Shamrock Hotel in the summer of 1963. That was a beautiful hotel.

Okay, the rest of you chime in...

Last edited by gy2020; 12-27-2009 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,223,877 times
Prince's Drive-ins
Gilley's
Jaimail and Sons Grocery
Mayor Hofheinz (the younger) showing up wasted at rock concerts, barely walking

Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 PM

The Alabama Theatre was a beautiful neighborhood theatre. I went to one of the old theatres to see Thed Exorcist when it first came out. It showed in only one theatre for about 6 months. I went in the first week or so and had to wait 2 hours to buy a ticket and then another two hours before the movie started. Then watched it for two freeking hours. 1/2 night investment, but it was worth it.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 PM

I apologize. I started this thread back in the summer of 09 and forgot about it. Here it is:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...forgotten.html

Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,486,597 times
The Jester Lounge. Some good singers and comedians got their start there. I spent a lot of time there in 1965-1966.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,529,710 times
Jamails...gosh, I can't tell you how many times all of us were draaaaaaaaged inside the loop, three freaking miles to that place by my mom. LOL

I miss it. Incredible goods.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,445,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Jamails...gosh, I can't tell you how many times all of us were draaaaaaaaged inside the loop, three freaking miles to that place by my mom. LOL

I miss it. Incredible goods.
Is Jamails related to the Jamail Family Market on Airline? A coworker of mine has foodstuffs delivered from there all the time.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,300,402 times
Astroworld!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 PM

789 posts, read 1,530,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Astroworld!!!

Yes!! I mostly got to go when I was only a kid. Now that I am older I realize how much more awesome it would be to go. It would be a great place to take a date. What was their deal with closing that down? I guess you can't see in the future and see the population growth Houston would have.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,920,158 times
Watching Nolan Ryan throw fastballs at the Astrodome (and the wild uniforms)

"Look out football, here we come! Houston Oilers Number One! (trumpet fanfare) Houston has the Oilers, the greatest football team! We take the ball from goal to goal like no-one's ever seen! We're in the air, we're on the ground, always in control! And when you say the Oilers, you're talking Super Bowl! Cause we're the...Houston Oil-ers, Houston Oil-ers, Houston Oil-ers Number One (five, seven, eight, who do we ap-preciate?) Houston Oil-ers, Houston Oil-ers, Houston Oilers Number one!" Love ya, Blue.

"Houston, first word spoken from the moon! and KULF IS Houston!"

(I first moved to Houston in 1979, after graduating from college. Space City USA was still cranking then, and some of my fond memories are from then).

Some of my favorites from then are still around, though! House of Pies is still rocking, Barry's Pizza still has cold beer and great pizza, Ninfa's on Navigation is still there. Old Houston is still here (some of it), you just have to look.

The Alabama theater: I wanted to see "The Empire Strikes Back", and it was showing at the Alabama. I snuck out from work (I was "outside", with a company car, so faked a "call" to go to the theater). Sat close to the front, the place was packed. Two rows down from me, a couple was making out big time (Get a room!!). Show over, lights came up---it was my supervisor and her boss, both of whom were married to other people. They looked at me, I looked at them, no words were spoken, and nobody ever said anything about it! Funny now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston