Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,066,818 times

Advertisements

the Randalls by where I live is clean, newish and usually pretty empty. The Kroger is packed like some kind of mad house with people stumbling around like they have never seen fluorescent lights before. I don't allow myself to go there except very late at night so I dont end up physically assaulting someone. patience i do not have.

ergo I typically end up at Randalls. The HEB I go to in Meyerland is similar to that Kroger and the urge to kill rises

spending more money on expensive groceries is cheaper in the long run than a long prison sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,192,954 times
One says they have 1000's of sku's cheaper than the other, but they aren't the same sku's. I have to be truthful, I shop Kroger because of its location and the cents off per gallon on gas with the card. I have a 38 gallon tank on my truck and getting 30, 40 or 50 cents off per gallon really adds up over time. Secondly, my HEB (Pearland) is just weird with their stocking practices. I just don't get it. Lastly, I have to admit that HEB's produce, meat and wine beat Kroger by a smidge.

Some have said HEB has a better selection. Well, maybe more sku's but for staples, Kroger beats the pants off HEB. And some will say that HEB already marks down their gasoline... well, not where I live. Both Kroger and HEB are at $3.15/gallon this morning and with my card, I filled up @ $2.75/gallon at Kroger, saving myself $14 on a tank full.

Ronnie

Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,993,309 times
I shop at Kroger in River Oaks. I don't like to shop where the poor folk are, they are usually begging for money and they don't bathe.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM

488 posts, read 1,386,251 times
I use H.E.B. for my weekly shop and my local Kroger if I just need to nip in for something quick (as its closer and smaller) but I do prefer their fruit and veg as H.E.B. always seems to have flies flying about their produce.

Our Target has a terrible grocery selection and Randall's is definitely more expensive.

I have been know to go to Wally World (in disguise ).

Central Market is a fancy H.E.B. where you can buy the same stuff as regular H.E.B. but they also stock stuff you will never need and it will take you 3 hours to find a parking spot.

Fiesta sells seriously scray looking meat stuff (you know innards and such like).

Phoenecia sells British Chocolate and Orangina (as well as fresh pita and olives and hummus) so I have to go their once a month and spend $150.

Whole Foods if for fancy single folk who eat quinoa and tofu and drive hybrids.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM

847 posts, read 1,755,759 times
i shop at kroger instead of HEB. kroger is closer, HEB is always PACKED. the price differences between kroger and HEB are so minimal that it's personal preference and what's more convenient.....i also get my gas from kroger..

this was with $.40 cents off of their normal price of $3.08

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM

24,078 posts, read 15,194,506 times
We do most of our shopping at Costco. I will go to the grocery store for stuff that we do not need a bunch of. My friend and I split some of the bigger items from Costco like peeled garlic. For things like guacamole and hummus, crackers, tomatoes, beer etc. ya can't beat Costco. I forget what gasoline is, but with their AE, you get 3% off of an already good price.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,192,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We do most of our shopping at Costco. I will go to the grocery store for stuff that we do not need a bunch of. My friend and I split some of the bigger items from Costco like peeled garlic. For things like guacamole and hummus, crackers, tomatoes, beer etc. ya can't beat Costco. I forget what gasoline is, but with their AE, you get 3% off of an already good price.

Costco chaps my hiney because you can't use any credit card other than Amex or direct debit. They have cool stuff there, though, and surprisingly good meat and seafood. Lastly, their private Kirkland brand of everything is Consumer Reports' darling.

Ronnie

Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,011,004 times
I'm not sure what the OP is saying, but I've given up on Kroger. They and Randalls are too expensive, plus they use those stupid Big Brother tracking cards (ooo, we need to be a member to be able to shop at these great "clubs"). HEB is much better (cheaper, fresher, no card). I can't lower myself to go to Fiesta.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
What hasn't been mentioned is Foodtown. I went into one to see if it really was cheaper. The store was filthy and the produce looked like it had been rolled across the dirty floor. I don't care how cheap it was - I am never buying food there.

The crowd was also worse than www.peopleofwalmart.com.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 PM

53 posts, read 126,020 times
Has anybody heard of the opening of a new store that is owned by Kroger called Food 4 Less? It would be the discount version of Kroger. They are all over CA, NV, and IL. I heard they are going to start opening stores in the Houston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston