Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,608 times

Advertisements

I am moving from the pasadena area, up to the cypress/tomball area, and when I bought my first house there weren't any new homes to choose from so never really had an issue with it, but there they are everywhere. I am currently deciding on which I will do, new vs. used, but I am having a very hard time finding information on the builders. I have looked at Lennar, Centex, Gehan, Meritage.... pretty much most anyone you can think of. If I do choose to build, I am leaning towards Lennar, but I have heard of good and bad just like everyone else. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,214,016 times
Most builders are as good as the subdivision construction manager.

I have seen a Lennar and DR Horton built as well as the best - because the construction manager was good.

Meritage seems to have taken a big step back as fasr as consumer attitude, within the last 6 months. Seems to be coming from the top - so any location will be the same.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM

8,897 posts, read 20,020,221 times
Have a couple of friends who have Lennar and seem very happy with their homes.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM

799 posts, read 2,443,564 times
Ive only owned two homes, but in both decisions, we've bought existing homes(30, 10 years old). I just dont see any character in new homes, and the postage sized lots are a shame. Of course, if you are talking $350k+, these arent issues.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM

538 posts, read 1,363,402 times
My husband is a home inspector and of those you listed, Lennar is the only one that he has on his 'list' of top ten builders.

Just make sure you have whatever home - new or used - inspected.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,608 times
Thanks for the help, this has been pretty tough. I was really impressed by what Lennar offered in their homes, solar panels, home automation, from what I have gone through, better insulation in the walls, better AC system, with the price including everything. The communities I am looking in, I would say I wish the floor plans where a little better, is 1550 sq feet, and I am coming from a 2000 sq ft home, so that is giving up about 25% of the space I am used to. That being said, I am single and propably really dont need it. I agree with the comment on the older homes without a doubt, more character, less cookie cutter, I love my house built in 1990, but I will say the energy efficiency and less maintenance are a lot to consider. The people I know who have newer homes are running about a 1/3 of the cost of my house which is smaller than most of theirs. I have to fix, plumbing, AC, Electrical, and foundation issues, which is about 10,000 in repairs in the last 4-5 years. When your single and supporting a mortgage on one income it really makes the newer homes look pretty good. Thanks for your help

Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,808,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
My husband is a home inspector and of those you listed, Lennar is the only one that he has on his 'list' of top ten builders.
That's funny because we were looking at Lennar, but if you do a google search you will find nothing but complaints. More than any other builder by far. Most complaints were from before 2010, but you can search pretty much every other builder and not find anything like that.

A couple of the best builders that I've heard of, but may be beyond your budget, is Trendmaker and Highland. They always get terrific reviews.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,146,613 times
I have a Ryland home and love it. But we had an awesome contractor. Friends have a Lennar - and are having some serious foundation issues with it now (about 7 years old or so).

Trendmaker and Highland for more highend (would have gone with Highland if I could have afforded it.). LOVE those homes.

But we have been VERY pleased with our Ryland home. We also built with Meritage before and again, had no issues with it either.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
That's funny because we were looking at Lennar, but if you do a google search you will find nothing but complaints. More than any other builder by far. Most complaints were from before 2010, but you can search pretty much every other builder and not find anything like that.

A couple of the best builders that I've heard of, but may be beyond your budget, is Trendmaker and Highland. They always get terrific reviews.
Well, you have to keep in mind that Lennar is also the parent company of Village, so that's a pretty wide net.

I'm pretty sure you could search KB and come up with more complaints.

ETA: Actually we sold a Trendmaker to move where we're at now. Ours was built in the early 90's, but it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. Since then I believe Trendmaker has focused on more high-end properties.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I have a Ryland home and love it. But we had an awesome contractor. Friends have a Lennar - and are having some serious foundation issues with it now (about 7 years old or so).

Trendmaker and Highland for more highend (would have gone with Highland if I could have afforded it.). LOVE those homes.

But we have been VERY pleased with our Ryland home. We also built with Meritage before and again, had no issues with it either.
We're in a Ryland too, and also had a wonderful builder. I think no matter what builder you choose, it's all about who's in charge.

I have a lot friends who own Lennar homes in Spring, and none have any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston