Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 28,986 times

Advertisements

Tried to search but I couldn't find a thread that was less than a year old.

The wife and I are looking to buy a new home around the 59/Northpark/Kingwood Drive area. Our price range is 180K-220K. We've looked at the Stanford by Gehan in Kings Mill and the Evergreen by Village Builders in Oakhurst. We liked them both, but the Gehan was a lot more house for a lot less money it seemed.

Could the Gehan be too good to be true? We've heard nothing but good things about Village, but not much about Gehan.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:01 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,732,304 times
I would recommend avoiding Kings Mill subdivision. Although it is in the Kingwood area Kings Mill is not a member of KSA meaning that residents there are not resident of Kingwood and not eligible to get a K sticker and use Kingwood amenities like the parks and boat ramp. Also the neighborhood has been very slow to develop and still hasn't built amenities that I remember being promised 3 years ago when I came through there house hunting. I ended up buying in Oakhurst and have been very happy with my choice.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,627 times
Village gets my vote. Very nice homes.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:06 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,225 times
Village gets my vote as well. Being in Oakhurst is very good for the commute. One thing to note though is that the school district is New Caney, not Kingwood.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I would recommend avoiding Kings Mill subdivision. Although it is in the Kingwood area Kings Mill is not a member of KSA meaning that residents there are not resident of Kingwood and not eligible to get a K sticker and use Kingwood amenities like the parks and boat ramp. Also the neighborhood has been very slow to develop and still hasn't built amenities that I remember being promised 3 years ago when I came through there house hunting. I ended up buying in Oakhurst and have been very happy with my choice.
Well, we're living in Kings Manor right now, so we're not really concerned about the 'K' sticker or boat ramp. Good point about the amenities, though. I've read criticism of Gehan (in other communities) saying that they're paying high HOA fees but the amenities promised have never been followed through on. Something to think about, I guess - even though any time we want to go swimming, we can just go to the in-laws place in the back of Kingwood.

We love Oakhurst, but isn't that technically in Porter? Even has a Porter mailing address if I'm not mistaken.

The Gehan model just has so many more features than the Village model. It really has the 'wow' factor (i.e. media room, HUGE master suite, separate closets) over the Village. But I've heard nothing but good things about Village.

I would be interested in hearing more about Gehan, since they seem to be new to the Houston area.

As far as the commute, Kings Mill is actually closer to 59 than the part of Oakhurst we're looking at.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imadrummer2k View Post
Well, we're living in Kings Manor right now, so we're not really concerned about the 'K' sticker or boat ramp. Good point about the amenities, though. I've read criticism of Gehan (in other communities) saying that they're paying high HOA fees but the amenities promised have never been followed through on. Something to think about, I guess - even though any time we want to go swimming, we can just go to the in-laws place in the back of Kingwood.

We love Oakhurst, but isn't that technically in Porter? Even has a Porter mailing address if I'm not mistaken.

The Gehan model just has so many more features than the Village model. It really has the 'wow' factor (i.e. media room, HUGE master suite, separate closets) over the Village. But I've heard nothing but good things about Village.

I would be interested in hearing more about Gehan, since they seem to be new to the Houston area.

As far as the commute, Kings Mill is actually closer to 59 than the part of Oakhurst we're looking at.
If you think there will be a chance to having to sell your home I place my bets on a higher resale value and quicker sale on a Village than a Gehan. Something to keep in mind.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Yes Oakhurst has a Porter address but you can put Kingwood if you want and it still gets delivered. The area of Kingwood around Mills Branch is also Porter. Gehan is the new builder there, originally it was Brighton (who I think may still be there) and Meritage but a lady I know who works for Meritage said they pulled out because houses were selling so slow there and they couldn't get the developer to commit to building out the promised amenities. In my opinion of you buy in Kings Mill your asking to lose money on resale.

At your price range I think you must be looking at The Park right? which can't be more than 5 minutes to 59 even from the back part. I live in Fairways across from The Park and it takes me like 3 minutes to get on 59S from my driveway.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Yes Oakhurst has a Porter address but you can put Kingwood if you want and it still gets delivered. The area of Kingwood around Mills Branch is also Porter. Gehan is the new builder there, originally it was Brighton (who I think may still be there) and Meritage but a lady I know who works for Meritage said they pulled out because houses were selling so slow there and they couldn't get the developer to commit to building out the promised amenities. In my opinion of you buy in Kings Mill your asking to lose money on resale.

At your price range I think you must be looking at The Park right? which can't be more than 5 minutes to 59 even from the back part. I live in Fairways across from The Park and it takes me like 3 minutes to get on 59S from my driveway.
Thanks for the info. My wife will be happy to know it's still a Kingwood mailing address.

Is "The Park" part of Oakhurst? I'm not familiar, but the part Village is building on is towards the back. Take the main entrance all the way to the club, then take a left and it's the first right after that. They have 2 models built and I believe they just broke ground on a 3rd.

I wonder how (or if at all) this Earthquest will affect the property values in that area.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 PM

No, The Park is the section that is the first or second left when you come in from Northpark. I forgot about that section way in the back, but yes that will add 2 minutes or so to your time to drive out of the neighborhood. I forget what that section is called. Houses in The Park would also be in your price range so you might want to see what they have available there, I think they might have different floorplans. The model is the second left after you come in off Northpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston