Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
That's funny because we were looking at Lennar, but if you do a google search you will find nothing but complaints. More than any other builder by far. Most complaints were from before 2010, but you can search pretty much every other builder and not find anything like that.

A couple of the best builders that I've heard of, but may be beyond your budget, is Trendmaker and Highland. They always get terrific reviews.
People generally only comment on products / companies when they have a complaint. Best thing to do is talk to real people that have experience with the builder you are looking at...not reading comments on the internet. There is no way to know if those comments are even true or someone is pissed at the company and just trying cause problems.

Also with the large builders it will depend a lot on the local crew as far as to what kind of quality and service you get. Try to talk to people that have bought from that same builder in the area you are looking for the best opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
If David Weekley builds homes of the same quality today vs 15 yrs ago, I'd say look at them.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
People generally only comment on products / companies when they have a complaint. Best thing to do is talk to real people that have experience with the builder you are looking at...not reading comments on the internet. There is no way to know if those comments are even true or someone is pissed at the company and just trying cause problems.
This is generally true and something I agree with but I was quite shocked at how many complaints were registered.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Read Loren Steffy's piece in today's Chronicle. Find out who is really building your house and how and how much they are paid. That will tell you all you need to know about your builder.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:28 AM

538 posts, read 1,362,035 times
Quote:
This is generally true and something I agree with but I was quite shocked at how many complaints were registered.
FWIW, I asked my husband about Lennar and he said it's Village that he recommends. Did they have just as many complaints?

(Granted, my husband hasn't inspected every house built, so he can only go by what he's personally observed.)

Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
They still do. I am on my second David Weekly home and very happy with them. Not perfect but MUCH better than the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If David Weekley builds homes of the same quality today vs 15 yrs ago, I'd say look at them.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,901 times
Quote:
The larger the company is, usually the more complaints you will find too. Lennar is one of the largest home builders in the US and builds in several states. Compare that to Village builders for example...who builds in Houston and Austin.

Lots more work in involved in researching builders than just the number of complaints online for that exact reason.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 AM

538 posts, read 1,362,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
The larger the company is, usually the more complaints you will find too. Lennar is one of the largest home builders in the US and builds in several states. Compare that to Village builders for example...who builds in Houston and Austin.

Lots more work in involved in researching builders than just the number of complaints online for that exact reason.
I didn't know Village was just here in Houston, and Austin. Learn something new every day!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,585,470 times
Perry , David Weekly, Chesmar, Highland, Plantation, Darling, Village(High End Lennar), Compass Pointe

Out of the ones you've seen, all but Centex will build a decent house. Regardless of who you choose, just stay on it if you build and if not get it inspected.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
In my first Weekly house, they came back after 9 Years to fix some bad parts issues. I am sure you heard of the weekly leaky story.
In my second Weekly house even after 2 years they're coming back to fix various issues. Not a lot of builder really do that. Weekly is also making some of the appliance vendors to come and fix some of their issues despite the warranty being expired.

Weekly really believes in referrals and positive feedback. There is no such a thing called perfect builder, but if you stay on top of the building process and the builder is willing to stand by their product, you will be in a good place.

I really believe in Weekly and I stand by them. Very impressed with their designs, quality of parts. Craftsmanship is the real issue like with any other builders. They all get the same crew of mexicans but if you stay on top of it with a good inspector you should be OK.

Also ask for their best building manager/supervisor which will also make a huge difference. Ours was horrible and we ended up asking to have him replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
They still do. I am on my second David Weekly home and very happy with them. Not perfect but MUCH better than the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston