Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,233,770 times

Advertisements

Call Jericho to come check out the house. They do it for free and they will tell you if there is not a problem (unlike some, who will tell you there is, when there isn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,065,766 times
if that is the only crack/door jamming what you have it is very minimal and basically normal. drywall can crack just due to getting hot and basic house settling (or bad installation). if you start seeing more cracks, floorboard separating from the floor, more doors sticking then you have a growing problem. if the cracks start in the rock/brick work on the exterior of the home you have a problem. if your home is covered in a veneer or painted it can be more difficult to spot. in this weather it is typically foundation issues due to the soil being too dry. or worst case scenario a water line/sewer line leak in the under slab plumbing.

the "slab hoses" are called soaker hoses. they are typically black and "bumpy". you do not water the exterior walls of your home but place the soaker hoses about 12 inches away from your foundaton and set to water 1-2x per day a bit at a time. the idea is to keep a constant and consistent level of moisture around/under your home. not too wet and not too dry. in this weather you have to fight everything from getting too dry.

if you have trees/shrubs growing right around your home you may want to get rid of them as you want to minimize roots going under your home as they tend to lift and break up concrete and cut into plumbing for the water. even fairly small plants (pampa grass) can affect your homes foundation and also pose termite issues

Old 09-10-2011, 05:34 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,848,944 times
hairline cracks are just part of the normal flexing. It is when you have a crack a quarter inch wide that you have a problem. Ones like that are just paint and go on.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 AM

171 posts, read 415,070 times
The door to our garage started doing this. Soaker hoses took the problem away however.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 AM

401 posts, read 1,735,955 times
@CRBoyd91,

Thanks! How many soaker hoses do you use since I think you cannot wrap one soaker hose around the complete house? Also how many days per week and how many hours do you soak the house. At this moment the heat is kinda going away (kind of) should I be doing the soaker hoses at this time when the heat is going away.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,010,433 times
Yes, it's extremely important to water the foundation directly, all around the house, on a regular basis. Maybe once or twice a week (where legally possible) during these long stretches with no rain.

No visible sign of cracks in the foundation from the exterior may not rule out some underneath the house. Tree roots have to be factored in too. They will seek out shaded areas, which typically hold more moisture. So water the bases of the trees to slow down the roots from "exploring".

Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM

594 posts, read 1,252,518 times
We have 3 soaker hoses around 3 sides of our house... we have to water the other side by hand as there is no hose long enough to make it that far.

We end up soaking during the "watering hours" twice a week on the days we're allotted. The surface tends to dry out in between but the point is the ground below stays somewhat moist. We figure that we do not have a lawn or plants to water so we water our slab instead.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Hello All,

Thanks for all the help! So, if I want to just water using the gardening house I should drop water on the foundation or 18-20 inches away from foundation (Like Soaker Hose). Also, if I am using a normal hose how much do I water (How many minutes and how many times a week).

I do have a sprinkler system all around the house which I run two times a week for at least 2.5 hours. I have six stations so some stations get 35 min and some get 15.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Just went to 4 different stores and they are all out of SOAKER HOSES. Can I use a regular hose to water around the foundation?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azamsharp View Post
Just went to 4 different stores and they are all out of SOAKER HOSES. Can I use a regular hose to water around the foundation?
You can but a soaker is better. I'd go online & order one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston