Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
FDO FDO started this thread

105 posts, read 315,134 times

Advertisements

I lived in the east coast and contemplating whether to move to Texas or not. Around her, we have 3 months of extreme cold (Jan, Feb and March) and I know that Houston whether is very hot during June, July, and August? Do you guys prefer extreme hot or extreme cold and why? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Extreme heat, for sure. Especially if the extreme cold comes with snow and ice, both of which can be scary when you drive on them.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM

291 posts, read 688,995 times
After living in Seattle the last two years and constantly being cold, I say bring on the heat.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
After living in Seattle the last two years and constantly being cold, I say bring on the heat.
FantasyFootballGuy, the entire first year we were here after living in the Pacific Northwest for 10 years, I would go outside and turn my face up to the sun, enjoying the heat and light.

I am still grateful for sun but I no longer have the feeling that my bones are cold and I can't get warm. I think the Northwest chill has finally left my body.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDO View Post
I lived in the east coast and contemplating whether to move to Texas or not. Around her, we have 3 months of extreme cold (Jan, Feb and March) and I know that Houston whether is very hot during June, July, and August? Do you guys prefer extreme hot or extreme cold and why? Thanks in advance!
With extreme heat I don't have to put on snow chains, shovel the driveway, worry about salt corroding my car, cover every inch of my skin with 10" of clothing or ever winterize my house. While extreme heat has it's own safety concerns, I'm not confined to the home, I can play golf or do yard work if I'm a glutton for punishment, getting to the movie theater or restaurant is not a safety issue and after the heat begins to diminish I know I have 8 or 9 months of ideal weather ahead of me (during which time I may need to drip my faucets and cover my sensitive plants five or six times).

Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Extreme cold. You can always put on more clothes, but you can never take off enough.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
Extreme heat. I just hate being cold more than I hate being hot. Besides I hate wearing jackets and thick clothing.

I'm definitely looking forward to some cooler temperatures, but I know as soon as we get that first cold front, after a day I'll be wanting the warm again. I'm a warm weather person for sure. I wish it was Houston's March and April year round.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,147 times
I'm a warm weather person as well and I left the extreme cold for the heat.
It is a personal preference. You're asking the Houston people, who chose (well mostly) to live in TX.
Of course, we love the heat than the cold. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here in large number.
Try also asking the same queston on Minnesota or Alaska forum and see what responses you get. Combine both responses to give you a better sense.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
I grew up in Chicago so plenty of cold weather experience, and have lived in Houston (also Bangkok which is like Houston summer weather all year round).

Not sure what you mean by extreme cold. If I take Chicago, for example (or recently I lived in Seoul which has similar winter weather), most of the winter it is maybe mid-20s to upper 30s daytime temps. Colder in the nighttime, occasionally teen in the daytime and you get that 1-2 weeks a year where it is single digits or less.

Single digits or less is what I would consider extreme cold. I'll take 100 over that any day of the week. If I take winter-long average winter against summer-long average heat, however, it is a toss up. Either way you have to structure your life around it. Actually, in some ways the cold is a bit better. 30 degrees really isn't bad if you are used to it and easy enough to put on layers. Hot and humid, though, there is only so much you can take off clothes-wise.

For example, one of my son's starts kindergarten next week. The parents are organizing a play date for the kids this Saturday in a park to get to know each other. Plan is 9am start and probably done by 10am as the kids will wilt in the heat thereafter. Tried to take the kids to the playground this week in the afternoon. Lasted about 15 minutes before they were red in the face and dripping. These are kids who have experienced this type of weather every day with no exceptions for about 2 years now (just got back here from Thailand) so not really a question of not being used to it.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Nothing more fun than changing a tire when it is 10 below zero. We will embrace the heat any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston