Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 PM

177 posts, read 425,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I wonder of some people answers would change, if we didn't have the comfort of modern conveniences. Would you guys feel the same way you do if you didn't have a heater, for cold winters; or a pool, for hot weather? And you can include any other ones like snow tires, snow plows, and cars with air-conditioning, etc.
Without any modern amenity you still be able to survive in extreme heat but you would die in extreme cold. In MN when it got to sub-zero temp in the winter with wind, public warnings would go out to warn people, especially for the homeless folks to seek for shelter. But every year you would still hear on the news people died of the extreme cold.

If you want to experience extreme cold...visit MN in January. Winter in MN has everything you can ask for. Blizzard after blizzard, negative 30 to 40 degrees windchill, 60-80 inches of snowfall every season guaranteed.

To live in the heat you don't basically need to learn much to survive but to live in the cold you have to learn the basic survival skills. Things like: How to drive in the snow. This is extremely important step. You need to learn to dress appropriately. You also need to have a survival kit in the car God forbid if your car ever breaks down in the middle of no where. Enough for you to survive at least a few hours until hopefully someone will spot you and call for help.

To live in the cold you have to get up at 6am to shovel your drive way to make it to work on time if snow falls overnight. Expects about 30 minutes to an hour of shoveling depend on the amount of snow fell.

Also to mention, tragically, but almost every blizzard storm there were either injuries and/or fatalities involved. People spin off the roads, rollover, head-on crash after crossed over the median, you name it.

The snow is really hard on the elderly folks. The number of people fall and break their knees or hips reportedly happening every year.

I am sorry of all the negatives about winter with snow but that was just the reality. You just need to be really careful and use common sense just like anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Extreme cold. I enjoy cold weather. I can control the temperature with heater and clothes.
Exactly. Heat makes me miserable!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 PM

153 posts, read 325,873 times
I like the cold. I don't want to do anything with the extreme heat outside. I don't mind wearing thicker clothing in the winter. You guys are right about the car accidents though. I recalled it was about 2 years ago. I was driving to UH for my final exam. I was driving about 35mph because there was ice on the road. There was an 18 wheeler infront of me. He swerve and hit the concrete barrier. The other car next to me slid as well. His whole front bumper fell off, and doors were crush. All this happen before the Allen Parkway exit.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Extreme cold, I HATE ANY KIND OF HEAT.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You bring up a good cold.

Dry cold and dry heat is pretty tolerable for me. Overall though, I much prefer extreme heat. I can still get out and do things in the heat.
I have reached the point where I can't even stand a dry heat.....seems like my tolerance for it nosedived about 10 years ago.

If I have to put up with a humid heat or a humid cold, I had just as soon somebody shoot me and get it over with.

I'm a wuss, I know......guess it comes from getting old!!!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I hate cold (cold is below 40 for me) as I am used to the Tx heat. And yes I hate this summer heat. I just hate cold even more. As noted above in the MN example, it doesn't take any special skills to survive 100F, as long as you don't have any major health problems. The same can't be said for 0F.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM

65 posts, read 224,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie
Extreme cold. You can always put on more clothes, but you can never take off enough.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

My thoughts exactly. Bring on the extreme cold.

You can layer up and immediately start warming up. You can strip buck naked and still be overheated for a good while
That's what I've been saying for years.

Sorry, but I reeeeeeally hate hot weather. Warm starts at over 60, anything over 78 is miserable to me. Circumstances brought me to Houston in 1990 & have kept me here (from NW of Chicago), not the promise of warm weather.

As for "cold", for me that starts in the low 40s (I like to sleep with the bedroom window open until about 45 degrees). I well remember walking outside & having my nostrils freeze shut (which no one here believes), so I'm not "misremembering".

I also remember shoveling the drive, sidewalks & sometimes the street, as well as the joy of trying to drive a lightbodied 2 door car with a Jetfire 400 engine up an icy hill - all 4 directions to get out of town (I lived in a river valley town). No, I don't want to go back to THAT, but the question was one of temperature, not of accompanying weather conditions. There were plenty of Winters without snow, or very little, but still stinkin' cold. And I loved it.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Nothing beats the low cost of living in a hot climate in the south. Just bought a house for under 200k. SoCal the same house with be 500k+ easy.
What if Texas had Cali's climate? Do you thinik it would be more expensive here too?

Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
Without any modern amenity you still be able to survive in extreme heat but you would die in extreme cold. In MN when it got to sub-zero temp in the winter with wind, public warnings would go out to warn people, especially for the homeless folks to seek for shelter. But every year you would still hear on the news people died of the extreme cold.
I guess you don't hear about the heat related deaths during periods of extreme heat. For example, a 33-year old died last week. Collapsed while mowing the lawn. Dehydration, heat stroke, all things that people die of when it is too hot. Extreme temperatures, whether hot or cold, are not good for the human body.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
I guess you don't hear about the heat related deaths during periods of extreme heat. For example, a 33-year old died last week. Collapsed while mowing the lawn. Dehydration, heat stroke, all things that people die of when it is too hot. Extreme temperatures, whether hot or cold, are not good for the human body.
Of course extreme heat is still dangerous, but I think his point was that the average person who is in good health can just stand in the shade with a water cooler when it is 101F and still survive with no ill effects. This must be true because the guy who does our lawn came by at noon last week. He finished our yard when the temp was about 101, and left to do the next yard as the temp was climbing. Houston heat is still much more tolerable to the average human body than extreme cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston