Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
High 70s would be good for lows. I'm known to say, "I'm chilly" at 80 degrees. 60 is the lowest I like for cold. If I have to wear anything heavier than a sweatshirt then it's just too cold for me. 65 - 90 year round would be perfect.
Same with me too! I am so glad to be back in my home state and away from the midwest winters, and humid summers. I'm in Austin, so in the summer I can literally go jump in a lake (what's left of it)...or my pool.....or kayak Town Lake, etc.

I was in SoCal over Spring Break and thought is was cold! I lived there for 3 years and always froze at the beach. But, to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 PM

177 posts, read 425,607 times
EXTREME HEAT ALL THE WAY. Just moved here from Minnesota and am loving it. After 20 plus years of living in the cold I am now free. Great feelings. You don't know extreme cold until you have lived in it.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
While it is really, really hot right now, it is obviously less dangerous than extreme cold providing you take precautions and don't ignore your body's warning signs. I work at a college, and in the middle of the day, when the electronic signs read 104, there were several people (I guess it was a PE class) jogging outside and doing sit ups. The baseball team was practicing. Maintenance guys were driving around in their golf carts finding stuff to fix. My boss likes to go outside and smoke, and sometimes he drags one of us with him just to talk. So yes, I was standing in the sun when the temp was triple digits. That sucked, but hey I am new, and this is the boss.

I suspect any of this would be more difficult when the temperature is approaching 0.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM

561 posts, read 972,873 times
I would prefer the heat, however not Houston heat. The heat in parts of the world tends to be during the day and at night its much cooler. However, here in Houston the Humidity just kills people no matter day or night.

Humidity is the devils work, i swear. My A/C went out at my house and when we went to open the windows... IT WAS EVEN HOTTER!!! The humidity is heavy and unforgiving. You sweat in it, you have a hard time breathing, you add that with the extreme sunlight here in Houston and you have hell. Whereas in cold weather if your heater goes out you can just bundle up and get some hot soup in you.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Extreme cold. You can always put on more clothes, but you can never take off enough.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
My thoughts exactly. Bring on the extreme cold.

You can layer up and immediately start warming up. You can strip buck naked and still be overheated for a good while

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM

789 posts, read 1,528,461 times
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I wonder of some people answers would change, if we didn't have the comfort of modern conveniences. Would you guys feel the same way you do if you didn't have a heater, for cold winters; or a pool, for hot weather? And you can include any other ones like snow tires, snow plows, and cars with air-conditioning, etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
FDO FDO started this thread

105 posts, read 315,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You bring up a good cold.

Dry cold and dry heat is pretty tolerable for me. Overall though, I much prefer extreme heat. I can still get out and do things in the heat.
Thanks for all the response! I was thinking the same thing. You can still do stuff outside on the extreme heat but on the extreme cold, you can't wait to get indoors...

Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM

624 posts, read 907,054 times
Extreme heat, I can be working in the yard in 90 to 100 degree temps and take a break in the shade on the patio with a giant mug of ice tea and be fine in 10 minutes or less. I hate being so cold your ears, hands and nose are bright red and you're shivering. The only relief in that situation for me is to go inside. Most Texans don't layer themselves with clothing in the winter, they wear what they normally wear in the winter pants and long sleeve shirts/sweaters maybe and put on a coat or jacket sometimes gloves and we are out the door. We figure we won't be outside long enough for it to matter.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:07 PM

594 posts, read 1,250,179 times
Heat.

I really like visiting cold weather and snow and bundling up but I wouldn't want to have any responsibilities in it. I just am miserable if I have to be cold for too long. People drive like crap in snow and ice, even if you are from somewhere where it snows and ices. It makes me tense and headachey and grouchy. No thank you.

I guess it's a good thing we like it hot. It was what? 106+ today and our A/C seized up 2 days ago. New one installed tomorrow. Thankfully Radiant Barrier has saved our us. It hasn't gotten over 85 in the house yet despite the hot temps outside.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 PM

833 posts, read 1,887,587 times
Nothing beats the low cost of living in a hot climate in the south. Just bought a house for under 200k. SoCal the same house with be 500k+ easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston