Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 36,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Personally, I'd stay with the lesser salary. Due to the cost of living difference you are probably actually making more in Houston.

HP isn't the same company it used to be to work for, but it still looks awesome on a resume, so if you want to move eventually, you'll have HP on there. I would imagine the company in CA isn't the resume builder that HP is.

Question: Have you countered the HP offer? I would bet you could get a little more out of them. $84K is decent, but they pay very well for incoming talent (the yearly adjustments are slim). If they really want you, they'll come up I'd imagine.

If you have not countered their offer, the best way to see if the offer is negotiable is to actually ask. "I appreciate the generous offer, but I was wondering if this offer is negotiable." If it is, they'll ask what you have in mind, if it isn't they'll tell you, or suggest some other method to sweeten the pot (signing bonus, extra vacation, etc).
You are right about HP. I asked for counter offer and they said that is the best they can do without stocks optics. Their benefits except the 401k plan are standard (worse than the other with free benefits). I agree with all replied posts that housing here is so affordable, and no state tax makes the seemingly much lower salary here offset the pay difference. Better things in Houston are most important: family and relatives, light short commute traffic with alternate routes, living within 11 miles of HP, no mortgage to worry (a really deal breaker!).

But if I'm willing to sacrify own personal living standard to opt for much more money saving for a few years including renting out the house in Houston, then taking this job in Cali sounds reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
To me this is a no-brainer, I would stay in Texas. Your money will go a heckuva lot further here than in California. Taxes alone will eat up so much more of your income and you must already know the cost of housing here in Houston is much lower. But it is more about the long-term, California is in dire financial straits and getting worse by the week. Taxes are rising, services are diminishing and companies are leaving the state in droves because the business climate in so un-friendly. Take your vacations to California if you really like the state but keep your residence and your income here in Texas where there is no state income tax. Your decision but that's my two cents...
I agree with you and the rest. It is just me trying to give Cali another shot because I used to have roommates who shared the housing cost in order to save more money. The same question remains here if I'm willing to trade in the personal comfort living in a paid off house for saving more money by living with roommates or in a small studio in California. In addition the company in California is doing very well.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Why don't you use your offer from Cali as a bargaining chip for even higher pay at HP.
Yes I tried to counter offer with another 10% increase from $84K but HP said that is the best. Well I can again for maybe 5% increase tomorrow. At the same time I don't want to upset either because it is a small world out there

Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
come back to houston when youre almost 40 and have found a good lady.
Hahaha, I lived in So and Nor Cal for 11 years and still didn't find my lady yet so I moved back to home town Houston. But I probably left a potential gf in the Bay area. Now maybe this is another chance to go back for her. I'll let God decide later on.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What do you WANT to do? Do that.
I can't have the best of both sides which are what I want lol: the same house in Cali or Houston with the higher salary, can I?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Go for it, see what your lifestyle is is Cali with the 31% bump...
I used to live there for many years so I know to have the same apple to apple best personal lifestyle comparison, a paid off nice house in Houston with family and relatives definitely beats even the online salary match calculation like $145K. But if I can sacrify the personal comfort for more money saving like renting an old small studio then it might be worth of moving. The emotional issue here will I want to do that again?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM

958 posts, read 2,581,079 times
Hard decision for ya. Potential for growth is easily on the Cali company but more risk. Stability and safety is with HP. Not job security wise but company wise IMO

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM

594 posts, read 1,253,330 times
That's a tough call. Having lived alone and then went back to roommates, I can tell you that's rough but you manage.

Good luck

Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 AM

543 posts, read 1,390,432 times
Both are good offer for you. More importantly, which job do you like better in terms of your career and the people that you will be working with. Which job will give you the satisfaction and the accomplishment at the end of the day? Which job will make you want to drive to work?
As young as you are, it is more important to gain the right experience that will set you well for the rest of the career.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,004,391 times
Given the current economy, I wouldn't play hard ball negotiating salary. Bird in hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston