Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,483 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting an apartment for 1250 per month and wanted to buy a property to save rent. I can put a down payment of 120K. I am commuting for work at university/texas Ave.

Please help in deciding whether to buy a condo or a home in college station.( Looked at few condos in forest drive and spring loop. But, I fear for the sewage plant near to these condos and lot of sign boards for sale in this community). I am yet to look at Dominicks, Krenek tap, Barracks and few other condos.

Realtors are confusing me to go for a single family home as the price appreciation might be better than condos. But i feel renting out a condo with nearby A&M stop is more easier than renting a single family home in south college station.

I am not planning to sell in near future as i want to invest my 100K savings for buying a property and rent it out if i move out of college station. Appreciate your advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,985 times
I've been in the housing rental business a long time and my advice to you is if you are looking to buy a live in stay away from Condos. Basically your buying an apartment and all the troubles that go with it pluss the issues that you come across as a home owner including HOA's.
Construction is questionable at best just like an apartment building, you can't fix your car in the driveway, you have people all around you.
$120 k is a good DP on a place and your not looking for your dream home right now. Find a small house in a good neighborhood that is all 100% yours. Then put your lawn chair where ever you dam well please

Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,209,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I've been in the housing rental business a long time and my advice to you is if you are looking to buy a live in stay away from Condos. Basically your buying an apartment and all the troubles that go with it pluss the issues that you come across as a home owner including HOA's.
Construction is questionable at best just like an apartment building, you can't fix your car in the driveway, you have people all around you.
$120 k is a good DP on a place and your not looking for your dream home right now. Find a small house in a good neighborhood that is all 100% yours. Then put your lawn chair where ever you dam well please
Very good advice.

Those realtors were steering you right. Condos are the first to feel a downturn - the longest to stay in the slump - and the last to appreciate. Renting it later, you have to remember in a college town, you will have some vacant months - but that condo fee keeps coming at you, whether vacant ot not.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,056,153 times
I'd definitely go for a single family or even a duplex over a condo. Unless you are in condo type of city or resort town, I wouldn't consider it the best investment.

Also, if you have $100-$125k to invest, I would consider maybe getting more than 1 property instead of putting it all into 1 home. If you qualify, you could get several mortgages by putting down 20%-25% on the home. The rent would more than cover the mortgage and you would be able to accumulate more properties than by just spending all your money on 1 property. Just something to think about, I'm not sure about your long term goals.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 AM

7 posts, read 8,483 times
Thank you all for your advice.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,821,150 times
Is it better to pay cash for a home or finance?

Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,209,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Is it better to pay cash for a home or finance?
Don't start with that again - you wore that thread out.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,821,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Don't start with that again - you wore that thread out.
This is a different topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston