Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
I guess not the parts of Austin or Houston that I've lived in! There's a big difference in how 40% or 70% humidity feels when it's 90+ outside. In the heat of the day, the humidity feels much worse in Houston than Austin.
I pulled some weather station stats for yesterday's highs:

Houston 98F, 45% humidity, heat index= 108
Austin 101F, 36% humidity, heat index= 108
DFW 103F, 28% humidity, heat index= 106

Pick your poison. In any of these places, summertime is brutal and there's no use in exaggerating. Where Austin & Dallas have an advantage is at night & into the early morning where it feels pretty good. In Houston it is still like a sauna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I guess it's all a matter of perspective relative to the observer. I've lived in Houston for going on 20 years and I've spent a good deal of time visiting Austin and San Antonio but I've never really been able to tell that much of a difference, certainly not on the magnitude that you are making it sound. But like I say, some people have lower tolerances I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

I do laugh though when I hear people say Dallas is in a "dry" climate like it's in the desert or something. Dallas has the same humidity levels as Shreveport and I can tell you from experience that Shreveport can get downright miserable in the summer because of humidity. If someone can't stand humidity then I would suggest the areas West of San Angelo. Anyway this subject is a dead horse so to speak. Not worth arguing over.
I don't think just visiting a place gives you any real idea of the weather there. IMO, Dallas IS *drier* than Houston. Arizona dry? Of course not. But certainly not as muggy as here 99% of the time. But that's not to say that other areas don't get humid as well.

We were just back in DFW for the 4th. 2 mornings, I walked outside and it was awesome. Relatively cool, nice little breeze, perfect reading a book/chill on the porch kind of weather (we are talkinga about 6:30-7am). The 3rd morning, I opened the door, and was greeted with some nasty mugginess - it felt just like it doesn here in Houston.

All I'm saying is that the majority of the time - the humidity is less in other cities. And the majority of the time, the humidity is more here in Houston. There are more days of muggy humidity here than there are not.

And frankly, I will take 103degrees with 28% humidity any day because in that type of climate - shade oustide actually provides some relief. When humidity is high - the only relief you can get is by going inside.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,246 times
Greatest motorcycle weather in the country. Plus it is only humid in the summer. Heat is a lot more expensive than AC. Tourists tend to wind down in the fall, seafood is cheap and fresh, citrus here is amazing, older elevated homes survive hurricane flooding better than brand new ones. Hope this was helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston