Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM

135 posts, read 566,489 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I'm gearing up for a session with the ARB here in a few weeks. They've increased the value of my home nearly 8% since I bought it two years ago. Given what I've seen of listings in my area this seems to be way out of wack with what homes are actually selling for. The only problem is I have no accurate data of what houses in my area are selling for as all that information seems to be out of the public domain. Any thoughts on how I can obtain this information (sales price) to support my case that home prices in my neighborhood have actually gone down and not up as they are contending? I really do appreciate any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
You can ask one of the real estate agents on here to run it for you, most of them are very nice.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Check your DM

Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,766 times
Sounded like you have already received a notice with an appointment? If so, go to HCAD.org, type in your account number. When your property comes up, go to iFile and type in the number showed on your appointment.

Read all instructions from that notice and from the website (iFile section). All information for your argument, vaule of sold home in your neighborhood, are given to you by HCAD. All those information are accurate and can be used for your hearing. Just need to ignore forclosure homes and use only homes sold in 2010. Homes sold in early 2011 may be used as well.

I believe that there's a video you can watch to help you how to prepare for the hearing. The link should be on your appointment notice.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 AM

135 posts, read 566,489 times
I don't have access to that data quite yet. I'm not sure if they include all data or only that which will support their value. Surprising that you can't use foreclosure home sales data given that these obviously affect the value of ones home.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
I don't have access to that data quite yet. I'm not sure if they include all data or only that which will support their value. Surprising that you can't use foreclosure home sales data given that these obviously affect the value of ones home.
Yes - this.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
I was told by HCAD agent that you can use foreclosure homes only if the foreclosure homes were about half of the homes sold during the year 2010. Otherwise, they wouldn't accept it.

A written notice of your appointment for the hearing is normally sent to you within 14 days of the appointment. When you posted a few weeks, did you mean that you have received the notice already or not?

If you have received a notice of your appointment, the written notice should have a number that allows you to get those records on their HCAD.org website. If you got the appointment but did not get that number, call HCAD. You can also obtain those information at their office but only if you already have received the appointment notice for the hearing. If you're not sure how to calculate the value of sold homes in your area, someone at HCAD can help you to prepare for your hearing as well. The people at HCAD are there to help, seriously. They're not villains.

Good luck!

Last edited by NTT; 05-16-2011 at 01:33 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
The people at HCAD are there to help, seriously. They're not villains.

!

Then tell me why they insist on valuing a 60 year old the same as a 4-5 year old houses on the same street. They have them valued the same Price Per Sq., and they refuse to listen to the concept that they are not two like products when they hit the market. You can't reason with them on this at all. I finally hired a professional this year. After years of successfully protesting as a property owner, the past 3 years have be a "bang head against the wall experience."

I'm not saying they are villians, but as "real estate professionals and 'peers'," they have become increasingly unreasonable on the old vs. new argument. Not to mention they don't look at recent sales as a whole, they pick the highest seller and set the market.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
I was told by HCAD agent that you can use foreclosure homes only if the foreclosure homes were about half of the homes sold during the year 2010. Otherwise, they wouldn't accept it.

This is true also in setting market value.

A written notice of your appointment for the hearing is normally sent to you within 14 days of the appointment. When you posted a few weeks, did you mean that you have received the notice already or not?

If you have received a notice of your appointment, the written notice should have a number that allows you to get those records on their HCAD.org website. If you got the appointment but did not get that number, call HCAD. You can also obtain those information at their office but only if you already have received the appointment notice for the hearing. If you're not sure how to calculate the value of sold homes in your area, someone at HCAD can help you to prepare for your hearing as well. The people at HCAD are there to help, seriously. They're not villains.
No, I have found them to be very nice. However, their goal is to increase revenue by increasing the values of your house, in order to raise taxes. It's your job to keep that from happening or minimizing it.

Last time that I fought one and went all the way - I brought 5 copies of comps, as I noticed that their comps were cherry-picked. They pick the highest and the most upgraded. The average owner is not going to have a all of the info. Just ask a realtor to pull them for you. Only takes a few minutes.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,580,603 times
Thanks for the timely tips. We got a 10% increase in Alief and doing the first meeting on Wednesday. For some reason they think my house grew 600 sqft and we could not sort that thru iFile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston