Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM

54 posts, read 271,910 times

Advertisements

I live in Hedwig Village (Memorial Villages) on a ½ acre+ lot. The neighborhood has been redeveloping over the past 10 years with the older ranch homes being torn down and replaced with 5k-7k sf homes worth 1.5-3 million. My house is one of three remaining original homes on my street. The other two are classified as Economic Mis-Improvement with ridiculously low appraisals on the improvements… (All the land values are still outrageous… $30 per sq ft).
I had my hearing with the appraisal review board this week, and I tried to get my property re-classified to Economic Mis-Improvement (EM). The ARB reduced my appraisal by 20K (1.5%) based on pictures of flaws with my house. I had expectations of a much larger reduction.
My neighbor (whose house is EM) did a major remodel in 2008, but somehow HCAD was never notified. I had pictures comparing his kitchen and my kitchen, and they are basically the same. New cabinets, Granite, Stainless appliances, tile, etc.
There is no doubt my house will be bulldozed when I sell it. By all definitions, it should be classified as EM, but the partial remodel is preventing HCAD from making the change.
Before I commit to Binding Arbitration, I have a question:
Is anyone aware of a property in Harris County that had a partial remodel (that HCAD knows about), and was re-classified to Economic Mis-improvement?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Please direct me to any links or organizations that might help me in my fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
We went to the board loaded down with info and comps. We were spitting in the wind. One knew what we were talking about and agreed with us. Two ignored us. The guy with the computer spoke Greek. Get a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston