Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM

164 posts, read 357,012 times

Advertisements

I had my formal meeting with the ARB today. I bought my house last year, so I wanted firsthand glimpse of this process before contracting out the job to someone else in the future. I spent a couple of days working on my presentation and report. Got comps from the neighborhood, took pictures, and had my real estate aunt compile some listing information for me. I compiled my report into spreadsheets and then grouped the data per home. I had about 67 pages of documentation (previous sales information, HCAD records, photographs).

(I actually found Pedro's post here on protesting to help me prepare my presentation/report very helpful.)

Despite citing 5 examples/comps that were truly similar to my property and 4 other examples that were different from mine, HCAD really doesn't give a crap. They typed in some properties "similar" even though the homes sold for 60-100K more than mine. Are they completely unaware that there are *reasons* why these homes sold for so much more? They had no pictures or details, and it was said in so many words that *sales price* was the only consideration. And of course, the ARB sided with the Appraisal District.

I protested this year because my assessed value increased 40%. I think I overpaid for my property, especially since a lot of problems occurred this year (and yes, I had an inspection done on my home) that will require serious dough to fix. I am not trying to get out of paying my share of taxes, but I honestly don't understand why a handful of homes which offer amenities (like garage apartments, garages, another bedroom, and another full bath) are assessed at less than mine especially since nothing changed with my property other than ownership. And of course, HCAD couldn't give me a good answer.

Long story short, I talked to quite a few people, and everyone that I spoke to was completely unsuccessful at lowering their appraised value this year. My mom and my boss used O'Connor and Associates, and they were unable to lower their property taxes.

Has anyone here managed to win or succeed/compromise at their protest this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM

39 posts, read 79,945 times
If you just bought the home last year, it should be easy to get them agreed on your purchased price. I did it twice in the informal hearing and it took 15 mins each time. The officer was very nice and it didn't take a lot to convince her to agreed on purchase price for me.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:49 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Never use O'Conner & Assoc.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
Mine was dropped $5,200 by Appeal Property Tax this year. They've done mine for the last 4 years, and have gotten it reduced twice for a total of $7,000 off my 2009 value.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
Mine didnt get dropped this year. I always do it myself and have dropped it in the past. The rate they raised it to was fair. Prices have risen all over the city. I was able to get the market value lowered so maybe next year if they increase it wont be at the maxium for my cap

Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
From everything I've heard, they are being major hard#%$* this year. I have two friends who protested with very legitimate cases, and both were denied any reduction to the increases.

I heard Paul Bettencourt a couple of months ago say that the problem is so bad that he's working on putting together an arbitration class since so many people have been denied any reductions in their increases this year (meaning that when they are telling you that they're raising the value by 10% they won't come down to even a 9% raise).

Just wait until next year when all of the people who escrow their taxes and don't pay attention get the notice from their mortgage companies that their payments are going up due to their tax increases. And when they have to do "catch up" and their payments have that $400 a month increase, wow, you're going to have a lot of people freaking out.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM

264 posts, read 442,130 times
Pedro, you are so correct. With the bulk of home sales being in the 500k+ market, these people are going to be in for the shock of their lives when they receive their tax bill. I am even going to go so far as to predict you will see these homes being unloaded in 1-3 years. Since we are in the home searching process to relocate within Houston, I have been paying close attention to this. Take a close look at what your neighborhood is rated. If it is A+, I have noticed the appraisal district has been quite generous with taking advantage of the 10% cap. Buyer beware is all I can say.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Ditto on O'Connor. I've heard Bettencort people are prepared and do a good job. There are also a couple of small one person firms who are effective.

The ARB goes against the HCAD many times.

The first time we protested, the HCAD had the correct sales price. I told her I gotten taken in by a slick agent and overpaid for the house. They lowered the assessment to what i thought it was worth, 30000 +/- less. We used to go to the ARB every time the assessment went up. Always got at least 25000 off. We did learn not to give them the average price per foot, or average price per house in the subdivision. They want the mean.

If your house needs work, take an estimate. DH is on our ACC and writes letters telling folks they need to fix something like a cracked driveway. The neighbors get the bid and take it to their hearing. They get a lower assessment.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:22 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,920 times
I had a 11% increase this year, but was able to hire a 3rd party company to lower it back to last year's value.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM

164 posts, read 357,012 times
Pedro, that really does seem to be the case. I personally don't know anyone who has their property taxes lowered this year by HCAD. I actually don't escrow my taxes, but I know that at the end of the year, I'll be cutting them a rather sizable check. By the way, thanks again for that informative post on putting together a presentation.

crone, I feel that I overpaid for my property. I had pictures of work that needed to be done - like a new roof, significant damage to the siding, removal of a shed due to damage, etc. (I had an inspection done before I bought the home, but many problems manifested themselves after a year.) I also got the palms removed from my property, which were planted 4' from the home and wreaking havoc on my roof/home. My ARB didn't care; they were already on HCAD's side. My assessed value went up about $50k, and HCAD is making sure it's sticking. (My home was remodeled in 2008, when the previous previous owner filed for a permit. Why wasn't the value raised five years ago?)

They also didn't (couldn't?) answer any of the questions as to why other homes that were truly comparable to mine didn't have their taxes raised. And of course, they couldn't provide an answer as to why homes, which were completely gutted and rebuilt and have a garage apartment, garage, another bedroom, and another full bath, were being assessed less than mine. "Oh, we haven't gotten around to it yet." Complete and utter BS.

Again, I am not against paying my fair share, but there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to their "system."

Thanks again for the responses, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: