Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 AM

343 posts, read 942,249 times

Advertisements

I am a first time home owner and need some advice on what to do. I received my appraisal not too long ago but noticed that the sq footage shows 300 more sq feet than what the builder has listed. Do I need to file a protest or do they somehow measure differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:39 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,687 times
They do measure differently. The living square footage as determined by the builder, was calculated by the software that the architect or building designer used to draw the plan with. The appraisal district sends someone out who physically measures the outside dimensions buy pulling a tape measure on your home. The most significant difference here is that the footage that the builder used does not include the six inch brickledge that exists on the perimeter of your home. ( 6" x perimeter linear footage ) ...can add up to a several hundred foot discrepancy, depending on the size and configuration of your home.

It is actually fairly amazing how close they "technically" get, without ever stepping inside the home. At 300 sq.ft. apart, they may make an adjustment if you were to provide compelling evidence that the actual footage is less, but I'm not sure it would be time well spent.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,627 times
If you are in a newer community you may know of a house that is the same exact floor plan. Look to see what they are posted at. If different than you can maybe use that. Our friends had this happen. Same house on the same street just different front and they are 400 sq ft bigger. Go figure. Good luck though! We just filed a protest last week against ours. Trying to get them to recognize our purchase price which was $80,000 less than what they appraised it for and their so called market value. Only two homes sold on our street last year and for that matter in our section except for several foreclosures and nither one of them sold even close to what Hcad said its tax value and market value is.
Waiting to see what they say. I also noticed our exact house in another similar community but with a golf course is actually graded differently for some reason and tax valued less. $40,000 less. Hmmmm, I have no idea how they get what they get because the other house is just as nice as ours. We have been in it since it is for sale.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM

343 posts, read 942,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
If you are in a newer community you may know of a house that is the same exact floor plan. Look to see what they are posted at. If different than you can maybe use that. Our friends had this happen. Same house on the same street just different front and they are 400 sq ft bigger. Go figure. Good luck though! We just filed a protest last week against ours. Trying to get them to recognize our purchase price which was $80,000 less than what they appraised it for and their so called market value. Only two homes sold on our street last year and for that matter in our section except for several foreclosures and nither one of them sold even close to what Hcad said its tax value and market value is.
Waiting to see what they say. I also noticed our exact house in another similar community but with a golf course is actually graded differently for some reason and tax valued less. $40,000 less. Hmmmm, I have no idea how they get what they get because the other house is just as nice as ours. We have been in it since it is for sale.
Thanks..I was able to find a home with the exact same plan and there sq footage in HCAD was less than mine.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
Thanks..I was able to find a home with the exact same plan and there sq footage in HCAD was less than mine.
If you had an appraisal done on your house when you purchased it, then that should have the square footage. You can also use that to argue your size down. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:01 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
You are welcome! We still have not heard anything abt our dispute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston