Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,462,949 times

Advertisements

I hope this works but I wonder if it will encourage more graffiti. Graffiti sure is ugly IMO!

City Makes 5-Year Deal For Graffiti Removal - Local News - Houston, TX - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41294931/ns/local_news-houston_tx/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM

497 posts, read 1,487,438 times
First offense - 20 strokes with a cane. Second - cut their right hand off in public. A few of those and there will be no more graffiti.

Many of you will moan about how cruel I am. But what is cruel is to allow street / crime / thug culture to persist and grow. It is especially cruel to the good people who live in those neighborhoods.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,060,344 times
graffiti is a part of the thug culture? maybe for the people who dont know how to actually do it.

there are graffiti artists who sell their works for millions of dollars. does price make art? what about legitimately beautiful paintings?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Come on now no flame wars here! The graffitti in the news article is the crap that is not appreciated and is a huge eye sore on Houston.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 AM

460 posts, read 2,429,501 times
When I lived inside the loop, not too far from the Galleria, I regularly drove around our neighborhood and painted over, or removed, graffiti and tags that appeared. Covering it over quickly, and right AFTER the "artists" do their work, is very effective and how NYC eliminated much of the problem on their subway trains. One time I found graffiti on a fence right after work, and painted over it that night. Taggers came back afterward (middle of the night) but so did I (5am the next morning). So by the time the morning traffic started, there was nothing to see. The fence was never painted again. No point, when there's no gratification. I'm sure the "artists" went elsewhere (of course they didn't stop), but not my problem. At least they quit bothering this fence in our neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,843,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
When I lived inside the loop, not too far from the Galleria, I regularly drove around our neighborhood and painted over, or removed, graffiti and tags that appeared. Covering it over quickly, and right AFTER the "artists" do their work, is very effective and how NYC eliminated much of the problem on their subway trains. One time I found graffiti on a fence right after work, and painted over it that night. Taggers came back afterward (middle of the night) but so did I (5am the next morning). So by the time the morning traffic started, there was nothing to see. The fence was never painted again. No point, when there's no gratification. I'm sure the "artists" went elsewhere (of course they didn't stop), but not my problem. At least they quit bothering this fence in our neighborhood.
I have to do the same thing and yeah, the trick is IMMEDIATELY covering it up. They eventually give up and move on.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
That is really awesome that you take the time to do that for your neighborhood!

It is also good to know that it does deter them from continuing the eye sore!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 PM

460 posts, read 2,429,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
...It is also good to know that it does deter them from continuing the eye sore!
only works if you cover it up immediately

if you leave it there for days or weeks, while all their friends admire their work, then there's almost no point in covering it up at that point

you have to eliminate the gratification

for people reading this thread who are interested in eliminating graffiti on stop signs (silver pens) and other road signs, buy aerosol brake cleaner at the auto parts shop - the graffiti just dissolves and slides right off. Be careful to not use too much or you'll eat through the paint on the sign. BUT if that happens, just call 311 and have them replace the sign

also, what I found was that after I removed the graffiti from the FRONT of the sign, the taggers started putting it on the BACK of the sign. Harder for drivers to see of course, but still marks their territory. So I just changed my driving speed and started swiveling my neck more. Eventually I eliminated that problem too

all in all, I found that the problem runs in cycles. Kids grow up and move on and new kids take up the pen. So it's a constant process to get them trained LOL

Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM

333 posts, read 639,778 times
some of us don't grow up tho

Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM

333 posts, read 639,778 times
Really, I'm just trying to rile you guys up. I love the way grafitti looks, whether it be a crappy tag or a 10 color burner piece, it has been apart of my life for the past 13 years but I also see all of your sides. I also hate gang graffiti!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston