Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 19,624 times

Advertisements

Hey hows the market out their in the It field for entry -level Network Admins or Helpdesk ? Im about to get my M.C.S.A cert. in a couple of months just wondering cause the market sux here in Cincinnati. Its hard 2 get a entry level A+ helpdesk without 3-5yrs exp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM

33 posts, read 125,825 times
Default Houston will be no better...

You need to get to Dallas if you want IT work in Texas. There are three growth industries in Houston: Medical, energy, and ambulance chasers. IT has been moving out of Houston because of the weather changes and insurance companies not wanting to insure large data centers.

I left Houston in 2004 for Cincinnati (ironically) because I could not find IT work for experienced tech workers, such as myself. I spent 17 months out of work, unable to find IT employment anywhere near Houston. I am now in Cleveland (even further from Houston).

If you are still in Cincinnati, get to Columbus or Cleveland. Forget Dayton, there are no jobs to speak of there and the city itself will probably be in bankruptcy in the next 5 years.

Texas does have some advantages. For one, there is no state income tax or city taxes. The cost of living is a little low but expect to pay a lot for electricity. Texas was deregulated and cooling a typical 800 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment will be around $500 month in the summer and around $300 in the winter. No snow. Global warming has made it a tropical area with rain constantly and the city has poor drainage, especially downtown and in the Galleria. San Felipe and Richmond area flood heavily and regularly.

You won't get hit with the "pet rent" scam like they have in Ohio, but you'll pay $300 deposit for you pet in a typical apartment complex, and do not expect it back either. Most complexes that are decent will be around 500 to 800 for a 2 bedroom. Downtown, East Houston, and southwest near 59/Beltway 8 are loaded with criminals and illegal aliens, avoid it. The only thing running after 6PM in Downtown is the Harris County Jail.

The southwest area is also where a lot of the New Orleans criminals went to post-Katrina. They are currently fighting it out for drug and gun running rights in the area with HPD trying to suppress it and threatening the local media from broadcasting it. This is happening since the destruction of New Orleans shut down the drug and gun routes in that city. They are fighting the local Houston runners in an attempted takeover. Crime is up 1000% post-Katrina and the war is still going on. Any "gang killing" in SW houston is most likely another dead gang soldier.

Do not break down on a Houston freeway either. They tow your car and charge you $200 to get it back.

Montrose is the gay area of the city. Not a bad thing but that is where they are. Similar to Northside in Cincinnati.

Respond back with any other questions you might have.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM

20,531 posts, read 33,647,254 times
IT is what I'm going to school for. It's sad to hear that Houston is not a player in the IT industry. I wish that would change very quickly because I would love to live down there. I knew about Dallas having a huge IT field, though.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 PM

832 posts, read 3,858,480 times
Actually, Houston has close to 2000 tech companies in its metro. This link may be a good place to start:

Houston Technology Center - Assisting Houston Emerging Technology Entrepreneurs

Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 PM

832 posts, read 3,858,480 times
In addition, there are ton of super large global companies in Houston where you could get a Network Adminstrator position

Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 19,624 times
hey guys thanx 4 the info

Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM

33 posts, read 125,825 times
Take BearBranch's comments with a grain of salt. Entry-level work is hard to find in Houston. If you want a more certain chance and a better salary, head to Dallas...seriously. A lot of those "2000" tech companies are here today and gone tomorrow.

The majority are also recruiters posing as "tech companies" to contract you out to other companies. Do not move or sign a lease until you have a letter with a job offer.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:44 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,158,980 times
I'm sorry… I have lurked around this board at times, but robertsd247 reply finally made me register due to his ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd247 View Post
You need to get to Dallas if you want IT work in Texas. There are three growth industries in Houston: Medical, energy, and ambulance chasers. IT has been moving out of Houston because of the weather changes and insurance companies not wanting to insure large data centers.
What? You should not have a problem getting an IT job. You may have to start out at the helpdesk or desktop level if you don't have any experience. Robertsd247 must not have any IT skills or is a very bad interviewer. Weather changes? Insurance companies? You don't know what you are talking about. Just look at Monster, Dice, ect... and look for yourself to see what's out there. Look in the employment section of chron.com.

Quote:
Texas was deregulated and cooling a typical 800 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment will be around $500 month in the summer and around $300 in the winter. No snow. Global warming has made it a tropical area with rain constantly and the city has poor drainage, especially downtown and in the Galleria.
What...do you keep your thermostat on 50 degrees? My 1000sq. ft. loft in downtown (with 16 ft. ceilings and huge windows) ran $70.00 in the winter and no more than $180.00 in the summer. True...it does flood at times, but not due to global warming. Houston has been tropical since the 1800's.

Quote:
Most complexes that are decent will be around 500 to 800 for a 2 bedroom. Downtown, East Houston, and southwest near 59/Beltway 8 are loaded with criminals and illegal aliens, avoid it. The only thing running after 6PM in Downtown is the Harris County Jail.
Get your facts straight man. Downtown, Midtown, and the East End of downtown is upcoming and other areas are great; however, you will probably spend at least $1000.00 a month for a 1 bedroom for these areas. Yes, stay away from the southwest part of town.

Quote:
Montrose is the gay area of the city.
Montrose is a very diverse neighborhood, and is no longer considered "the gay" area (unlike the early 80’s). It’s true there is a gay population in Montrose, but it’s know for more than that. St. Thomas University, the Manil Museum, great restaurants, and nice living.

The botom line is you can find (and many others I know have), can find IT jobs in Houston. All of these big corporations in Houston need IT help.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM

8,958 posts, read 11,833,494 times
Quote:

I left Houston in 2004 for Cincinnati (ironically) because I could not find IT work for experienced tech workers, such as myself. I spent 17 months out of work, unable to find IT employment anywhere near Houston. I am now in Cleveland (even further from Houston).

If you are still in Cincinnati, get to Columbus or Cleveland. Forget Dayton, there are no jobs to speak of there and the city itself will probably be in bankruptcy in the next 5 years.

Texas does have some advantages. For one, there is no state income tax or city taxes. The cost of living is a little low but expect to pay a lot for electricity. Texas was deregulated and cooling a typical 800 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment will be around $500 month in the summer and around $300 in the winter. No snow. Global warming has made it a tropical area with rain constantly and the city has poor drainage, especially downtown and in the Galleria. San Felipe and Richmond area flood heavily and regularly.

You won't get hit with the "pet rent" scam like they have in Ohio, but you'll pay $300 deposit for you pet in a typical apartment complex, and do not expect it back either. Most complexes that are decent will be around 500 to 800 for a 2 bedroom. Downtown, East Houston, and southwest near 59/Beltway 8 are loaded with criminals and illegal aliens, avoid it. The only thing running after 6PM in Downtown is the Harris County Jail.

The southwest area is also where a lot of the New Orleans criminals went to post-Katrina. They are currently fighting it out for drug and gun running rights in the area with HPD trying to suppress it and threatening the local media from broadcasting it. This is happening since the destruction of New Orleans shut down the drug and gun routes in that city. They are fighting the local Houston runners in an attempted takeover. Crime is up 1000% post-Katrina and the war is still going on. Any "gang killing" in SW houston is most likely another dead gang soldier.

Do not break down on a Houston freeway either. They tow your car and charge you $200 to get it back.

Montrose is the gay area of the city. Not a bad thing but that is where they are. Similar to Northside in Cincinnati.

Respond back with any other questions you might have.
Don't forget the highway robbery property taxes (if you are thinking about buying a house).

Last edited by davidt1; 07-16-2007 at 02:37 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,132,046 times
IT jobs in general look good. then again i'm in software development.
job at the helpdesk (by phone) I would think may be a bit difficult to find in any state because it tends to be centralized for a certain corporation. my financial firm's helpdesk is based in chicago and delaware. i bet one day they will be merged.
maybe you should diversify your entry level skills
desktop support teams need to be within each building no matter what line of business. Infrastructure architect (and his support team) is located in offsite locations like houston. lots of these slackers everywhere.
data center teams - what we call the guys who run thru and monitor end-of-day processing. Houston has a few of these
there quality assurance teams - in my bank these guys make $85k for stuff I already QA'd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston