Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 27,977 times

Advertisements

I just graduated, and I would like to understand the pros and cons of both cities in particular. I currently live in Mississippi, and have been offered jobs in both cities. I would like to move outside of this state and see what else is actually out there. This is proving to be a larger decision than I had planned, but it has to be done.

Which would be the best city for a recent grad that offers the friendliest and easiest people to meet? I am a musician and hear that both cities have great musical influences throughout, which do you think would be the best? And are there any other considerations that I have overlooked? Please feel free to criticize and give your honest opinions of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
IMO Nashville has better weather and nice hills. But it's very churchy and a little "small town" in attitude. Houston is more cosmopolitan, has much more to do, and a wider variety of people and attitudes.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Your state stole our football team. We can't talk to you.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Aside from the rap scene in Houston (which is mostly a laughingstock), Nashville has a much better musical scene.

Ditto to the above on scenery in Tennessee.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 27,977 times
Thanks for all the advice. By Churchier do you mean more conservative, family-oriented lifestyles? That is what I am mostly used to living here in Mississippi.

Haha... HoustonRonnie, are you talking about Snead. If so he went to our rival school, Ole Miss, and I went to Mississippi State. I don't like them just as much as you, if not more.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Once you leave Nashville that area becomes backwoods pretty quickly, I 'd say that happens only on the north/east side of the metro area. Musically at least country wise Nashville is better, but if your into the syrup sound there is still Houston impact, but Im 40 and white so consider the source.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan01 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. By Churchier do you mean more conservative, family-oriented lifestyles? That is what I am mostly used to living here in Mississippi.

Haha... HoustonRonnie, are you talking about Snead. If so he went to our rival school, Ole Miss, and I went to Mississippi State. I don't like them just as much as you, if not more.
By churchy I mean that people are into going to church, and talk about it a lot. Believe it or not, people who don't go to church can be very family oriented. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Sounds like Nashville would be a good fit.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM

48 posts, read 129,839 times
Never been to Nashville, but I can't imagine another place more 'churchy' than Houston. Coming from New York a couple years ago that was culture shock! I would meet people; they would ask me my name, where I was from, where do I live and oh BTW what church do you go to?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan01 View Post
I just graduated, and I would like to understand the pros and cons of both cities in particular. I currently live in Mississippi, and have been offered jobs in both cities. I would like to move outside of this state and see what else is actually out there. This is proving to be a larger decision than I had planned, but it has to be done.

Which would be the best city for a recent grad that offers the friendliest and easiest people to meet? I am a musician and hear that both cities have great musical influences throughout, which do you think would be the best? And are there any other considerations that I have overlooked? Please feel free to criticize and give your honest opinions of both.
It sounds like you've missed the most basic difference.... size. The Houston metro has about 6 million people (nearly as many as the entire state of Tennessee) so the question becomes, "Do you want to live in a huge giganta-city or not? If I could live in either city with the same job, same opportunities, and same salary, I'd choose Nashville solely because I prefer smaller cities.

With that said, I make a ton more in Houston that I would in Nashville and have way more opportunities here, so I choose to live here and am very happy with my decision.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Katy View Post
Never been to Nashville, but I can't imagine another place more 'churchy' than Houston. Coming from New York a couple years ago that was culture shock! I would meet people; they would ask me my name, where I was from, where do I live and oh BTW what church do you go to?
That's weird - I can't remember the last time I was asked that - had to have been decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston