Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:35 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Given the choice between Nashville and Houston, I'd run screaming to Houston (and for those who say, "Oh, the scenery is so much better in Nashville!", yeah, but they don't have a beach---or palm trees---or that big south Texas sky---and it snows in the winter, and in the winter it's full-blown dark at 4:00 pm---). But just because I hated it doesn't mean you would.
Yeah but Houston doesn't have a beach either. It has a Galveston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:09 PM

115 posts, read 147,225 times
Houston is a large international city that is very diverse and offers a variety of work opportunities that can take you places outside of the US. Art culture and entertainment is going to be 10x times what you have in Nashville.

Nashville will have more country and bluegrass live music. But remember - from Houston u won't be far from Austin which that is more easily found.

Plus - Texas has the best BBQ

Old 03-03-2017, 07:40 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Galveston pushes all the buttons needed for a fine "beach" experience. People need to stop acting like they're too good for Galveston or they're so worldly a Galveston would never do for them...

Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Galveston pushes all the buttons needed for a fine "beach" experience. People need to stop acting like they're too good for Galveston or they're so worldly a Galveston would never do for them...
Exactly. Galveston isn't that bad.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 PM

155 posts, read 149,594 times
The winters would be much more severe (relatively speaking), but that might be the only drawback to Nashville.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:32 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,306,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Nashville has a great skyline and has all that music history plus its current music scene with folks like Todd Snider is not bad. I would pick Nashville.
Not in the Hip-Hop and R&B fields which the poster mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Which is a beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This is for another discussion, but I find that many aren't very analytical when it comes to the presentation of Galveston. Thus, they end up coming to false conclusions about the island. Case in point, a discussion you had with a poster in this old thread below:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/41674723-post74.html

Old 03-04-2017, 08:23 AM

940 posts, read 1,903,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej35401 View Post
Houston is a large international city that is very diverse and offers a variety of work opportunities that can take you places outside of the US. Art culture and entertainment is going to be 10x times what you have in Nashville.
False. I love Houston or I wouldn't be here, and I'm retired too. But I grew up in Nashville and the above 10x is bull. Houston is 3 times the size of Nashville which is now 2 million metro pop. The Nashville symphony is rated as high or higher than Houston's and the Schermerhorn Symphony hall up there beats Jones by a long shot. The symphony there collaborates with pop icons like Smokey Robinson and it has a lot to do with the fabulous hall they have. My cousin in Atlanta went to that show, and he and his girlfriend go to Nashville all the time. When I asked him why (he grew up in Gainesville, GA) he says Nashville gets more road shows than Atlanta now. Part of the reason is that Atlanta is dangerous, and the other part is that Nashville is the weekend party central of the Southeast now.

Bridgestone Arena in a typical year there is #2 in ticket sales of all venues in show business in the country. You don't see double decker tour buses around Houston, but you see them in Nashville all hours of the day. You've got beautiful terrain up there with tons of nature walks and hiking with fall colors. The only State Natural Area in the country within city limits is there. Dozens of antebellum mansions surround. the city (not burned down like the ones around Atlanta and Charlotte were) and the city is packed with classical/neo-classical architecture of which there is almost none in Houston. It has a national university on par with Rice U. (Vanderbilt) #15 on USNWR, but with research funding that dwarfs Rice.

The Nashville art scene can't compare to Houston's but they have several very unusual venues, e.g. an Art Deco museum facility, plus a former 30,000 s.f. mansion/museum situated in a 55 acre botanical garden (Cheekwood) and a full size replica of the Parthenon which is a museum. One art scene they have there absent in Houston is fashion design, one of the fastest growing industries there.

Quote:
Nashville will have more country and bluegrass live music. But remember - from Houston u won't be far from Austin which that is more easily found.
This is lame. Aging rockers pop icons have flocked to Nashville and do benefit concerts and festivals there. full time residents: Sheryl Crow, Peter Cetera, Peter Frampton, Jack White, Emmilou Harris, Bobby Whitlock. Deceased: Leon Russel, Bob Welch. Part time: Kid Rock, Steven Tyler, Robert Plant. Dusty Hill is selling his estate there don't know if he's staying: ZZ Top's bassist seeks $7M for Sheryl Crow's former home

Quote:
Plus - Texas has the best BBQ
News for you: Tennessee is the center for pork BBQ. Not only that but the Nashville food scene has been written up so many times in the NYT that people are flying there for weekends of eating.

The clincher though is that Tennessee ha 3 other metros that are big tourist draws now for you weekend trips. You have beautiful mountains near Knoxville with the Great Smokies, Gatlinburgh and Pigeon Forge. A revitalized Chattanooga and Memphis are pulling in tourists, Chattanooga the most scenic city in the south by far.

Last edited by groovamos; 03-04-2017 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 09:00 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Groovamos, so essentially if you're a music lover, go to Nashville? That's been established. I think the op said he likes hip hop. Houston's scene has been sleepy for a while but it's coming back. The only thing after music Id give any nod over to Nashville is nature. Nashville to me just seems like a New Orleans or Austin.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
This is for another discussion, but I find that many aren't very analytical when it comes to the presentation of Galveston. Thus, they end up coming to false conclusions about the island. Case in point, a discussion you had with a poster in this old thread below:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/41674723-post74.html
Yes Galveston trolls go back a long ways. I may not see them all, but I will respond in kind when I do.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,811,293 times
In the 7 years since OP posted, he moved to Nashville, started drinking, lost his girlfriend, his dog and his music career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston