Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Everytime I watch, this is the format:
1. Stray dog with mange
2. Kittens trapped in drainpipe
3. Emaciated horse(s)

Are there really that many abandoned, abused and neglected HORSES in the city of Houston?

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-05-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
OK I'll try to answer my own question: I guess most of the cases take place out in the county, not in the city? Don't see a lot of Houston in that show ... Or does Houston have open areas large enough to have horses? (Atlanta doesn't, not ITP anyway)

BTW -- Tuesday's episode: "investigators try to save a horse from a flood."

Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Horses are outside the suburbs, in the semi-rural areas. Usually they'll say ''Waller/Brazoria/Galveston County.''

Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Horses are outside the suburbs, in the semi-rural areas. Usually they'll say ''Waller/Brazoria/Galveston County.''
They are inside the loop as well. I've seen quite a few in 3rd and 5th ward. They look like they could use a little help from Houston Animal cops.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Yes there are that many abandoned, abused and neglected animals in Houston as well as every city/town/county/suburb all across this country. And much of it do we will never hear about? For those of us who care and know very well, the extent of the abuse we will always be there for our faithful beloved pets.

A dog sits waiting in the cold autumn sun--
too faithful to leave, too frightened to run.
He's been there for days now with nothing to do
but sit by the road, waiting for you.

He can't understand why you left him that day;
he thought you and he were stopping to play.
He's sure you'll come back, and that is why he stays--
how long will he suffer? How many more days?

His legs have grown weak, his throat's parched and dry;
he's sick now from hunger and he falls, with a sigh.
He lays down his head, and he closes his eyes--
I wish you could see how a waiting dog dies!

I've been to the Houston animal shelter that is depicted on the TV show. It is one of the very best in America. Go visit sometime. You will be very impressed. Bring some treats for the dogs. The staff will gladly see to it the recipients get it. You might even run into me there.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I've been to the Houston animal shelter that is depicted on the TV show. It is one of the very best in America. Go visit sometime. You will be very impressed.
I can believe it. The other ''Animal Cops'' shelters look very bad on TV compared to the Houston one. (Detroit for example.)

Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM

8 posts, read 18,710 times
You would be surprised how little restriction and reinforcement there is on proper animal housing and care. I have literally seen horses (2, not just one) in a small chain-link fenced yard, when I was heading toward downtown from the North side.

The reason the shelters look so bad is that most of them have little to no funding available. Shelters and rescues generally rely on donations of time and money and food and supplies to stay running. Also, most shelters are kill shelters, which means that the animals you see in there aren't getting adopted, they're on death row. I believe the Houston SPCA has only 3 days before any stray that is turned in is put down, now.

If you are looking for a new pet, please try a local shelter!

If you have pets, get them spayed or neutered!

Last edited by easybakeoven; 07-07-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 01:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Animal Cops Houston get calls from places as far as La Grange. its not only the city of Houston smarty.

La Grange is like 2 hrs outside of Houston

Isn't there some thing in ATL you can watch? like real housewives or something. Go watch that and stop trolling around Houston's forum.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybakeoven View Post
I believe the Houston SPCA has only 3 days before any stray that is turned in is put down, now.
I think it is the same in most places. In SA the animals had 72 hrs. Less if the animal sneezed or looked sick in anyway.

they just can't risk infecting the other animals

Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 18,710 times
I can understand limiting the spread of disease. However, it's quite unfortunate and a good example of how little funding they have, as well as why people should spay and neuter their animals to keep from having more end up there! D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston