Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 AM

9,221 posts, read 16,022,063 times

Advertisements

^^From what I've heard, all of those who work Downtown already will continue to work Downtown. Greenspoint Exxon workers are gone to the new campus for sure though, as well as others around the city (not sure about the big campus in the Energy Corridor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:36 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,345,516 times
Okay, everyone here seems to know so much -- Some people have even offered the specifics of which jobs will stay and which will be relocated to a facility that won't be built for at least a half decade down the road. Does anyone have any sources other than "My mailman's friend is middle management and they told him not to buy a house in Sugarland"?

Once again -- I'm not saying it won't happen, just would like a little more substance than 'the grapevine'.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM

460 posts, read 2,434,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
... and it is conveniently located where the future Grand Parkway will be built (I believe).
Yes, if you look where Grand Parkway segment F-2

The Grand Parkway Association

and segment G

The Grand Parkway Association

are positioned. The parkway crosses (East-West) I-45 and the Hardy right at that point. Looking at the parkway a bit further East, what's really "interesting" is how the parkway will track along Riley-Fuzzel and how it might affect homes in Spring Trails, Fox Run, Benders Landing, etc, that are located close to Riley-Fuzzel today. One thing to hear Riley-Fuzzel traffic at 100yds (or closer). Completely different to hear Grand Parkway traffic.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,116,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Okay, everyone here seems to know so much -- Some people have even offered the specifics of which jobs will stay and which will be relocated to a facility that won't be built for at least a half decade down the road. Does anyone have any sources other than "My mailman's friend is middle management and they told him not to buy a house in Sugarland"?

Once again -- I'm not saying it won't happen, just would like a little more substance than 'the grapevine'.
I got my info from someone who actually works there ..... and he was told by his immediate manager that downtown would move but to expect it in 3-4 years. He is guessing more like 5-6 because nothing ever moves as quickly as they think.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,278,319 times
Quote:

Okay, we are looking at an overseas tour in abt two years. Not happy about it but thats life. We were told that when we get back or even before we leave we might want to look at Real Estate up there. We actually looked at lots in Benders Landing. So yes, it does seem to be a reality but will take at least 5 years before anything will really start to happen because of all the logistics and of course construction. We were the ones that were looking at transferring to Fairfax and we were the ones told nope because they were shutting down that office. No friend of the mailman's wife here. Just what we have been told. Between now and 5 years from now a lot can change but our lives were already directed to a differ path because of this move that may or may not happen.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
Okay, we are looking at an overseas tour in abt two years. Not happy about it but thats life. We were told that when we get back or even before we leave we might want to look at Real Estate up there. We actually looked at lots in Benders Landing. So yes, it does seem to be a reality but will take at least 5 years before anything will really start to happen because of all the logistics and of course construction. We were the ones that were looking at transferring to Fairfax and we were the ones told nope because they were shutting down that office. No friend of the mailman's wife here. Just what we have been told. Between now and 5 years from now a lot can change but our lives were already directed to a differ path because of this move that may or may not happen.
Again they only tell ya what ya need to know and most are not on a need to know basis. We only know abt the Fairfax office thing because it effected us directly.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,345,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
Again they only tell ya what ya need to know and most are not on a need to know basis. We only know abt the Fairfax office thing because it effected us directly.
I just finished up graduate school and had at least 3 close friends that started this summer in Fairfax, so I know they are still hiring at least some people.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I just finished up graduate school and had at least 3 close friends that started this summer in Fairfax, so I know they are still hiring at least some people.
I am sure they are but we were told it is closing up shop and being moved here eventually which is why we were transfered back here instead of to Fairfax. We wanted to go to Fairfax for a few years since we are from back east. A 7 hr drive to the gparents is better than 14 any day! Again that is just what we were told last year at this time. Nobody really knows anything until it actually happens. We just like to speculate. It is human nature.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 16,022,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I got my info from someone who actually works there ..... and he was told by his immediate manager that downtown would move but to expect it in 3-4 years. He is guessing more like 5-6 because nothing ever moves as quickly as they think.
You sure? Everything I've heard says that the Downtown employees are safe.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,116,705 times
Yeah, I'm very certain. However, I would hate to see them not keep even a small downtown presence in the city but they way they have stopped all expenditures on the structures itself is very telling as well. My cousin (now this is speculating) said he thinks, they'll move Fairfax first because that is some high dollar real estate they are one and then other groups would move such as Greenspoint because they are leasing and that the downtown bldg might be in one of the last waves -- but he is guessing at that order -- he's just been told his site will go (is a downtown employee) and the gossip-mill runs amuck guessing what order and when. Although another insider on this forum says it is still in the study stages - but as the company does - by the time any news ever leaks out - it is old news. They run a tight company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston