Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,900 times

Advertisements

I am replacing my kitchen faucet and having trouble on the last step of pulling out the old faucet. There is some method cap or something that is holding it back and I am not able to pull back. It is hard to explain so here is the diagram.

The space is soo freaking small that it is hard to hold on to anything

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
There should be some screws or nuts somewhere around there that can be loosened. First, I'd remove the sprayer to get a better view. Beyond it might be a nut that's holding the plate up. You can also try unscrewing everything on top to see it it will drop down. Worst case would be to use a reciprocating saw with a long blade to cut the plate.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,689,519 times
There are all kinds of faucet wrenches, due to the fact that it sets up there between the sink and wall, and is a real bugger to get at! Most of time, plumbers will install the faucet in the sink, then the sink into/onto the counter.

Some wrenches are specific to the faucet itself.

One wrench that might work looks like this. You can reach up a small-diameter area with it, grab ahold of things and turn them loose.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:58 PM

761 posts, read 3,416,988 times
Don't have any input other than I feel the pain of trying to work on a faucet.

Liked your artwork for it though.. Reps.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:13 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,900 times
Thanks Everyone! The nut that was holding back the plate is already loosen. I am not able to loosen the sprayer and that is where I am Stuck. I may need to call a plumber. All for a simple darn screw! Ahhhh

And yes I have a Basin Wrench which unscrews the main screw of the metal plate or cup!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
Since you've loosened it, if you have any play on top where you can lift it up a half inch, I'd cut it off with the reciprocating saw (one of the best destruction tools around). You can try cutting the hose off, but I suspect whatever is holding it on is blocking you. Do you know the make and model of the faucet? If so, you can look it up to find installation instructions to see how it's fastened.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Sawzall

You are throwing it out anyway. Why bloody up your hands?

Actually, there is a chance that the faucet will unscrew from that mounting plate. If you cut it, put the faucet in a vise so it does nto jump around and damage your sink. You migh be able to cut it faster with a pipe cutter.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,858 times
FWIW, some sprayer hoses are installed with a quick-connect clip, so that may be why it won't unscrew.

Google the make/model for installation (removal) instructions ...

Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM

73 posts, read 595,169 times
sometimes when they are a real PITA i have had to resort to drilling said piece of metal, then prying with a screwdriver, provided you can get a screwgun up there . sometimes grabbing it with a pair of pumps and wiggling back and forth can loosen it up as well.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM

577 posts, read 2,061,625 times
We struggled with our kitchen faucet for the longest time trying to figure out why, when we had done everything we were supposed to do and had the right tools, it still would not come out. The answer: It was rusted onto the connection. After a lot of WD-4 and elbow grease it eventually came out. Should have been a simple task, but nooooooo!!!!!!! Good luck with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House