Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:35 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,412 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to hear that you've decided to build. I'm sure you will be much more happier. Remember to anchor it....Hurricane season has already kicked itself off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Well, Here is my lil beauty.....

This is a shed where I tore an old one down, relocated it and then added on to it. The original shed was made out of very heavy red and white oak. Momma trying to drive a nail in it. Weighs tons, dragging it up the hill was an couple day job. Just the siding is very heavy. That is a plank type vinyl.

Overall it is 26' x 8. The addition was eight foot out of standard 2 x 4 construction. Everything was beg, borrow or steal. The most expensive stuff was the roofing and siding. Total once done I had ~$600 additional out of my pocket. I don't know if it could withstand a 140 MPH wind but it should be better than those crap tacky sheds they sell.

Just for chuckles I costed out a shed that size local as a kit, they wanted $8400 for a chipboard stupid thing with no type of siding. Don't think that included the roofing either.

Best if you can build them yourself. One good trick is to get salvaged or used materials. When I was in the construction business, if we torn something down that was good, I tried to take it down pretty careful. I build two really nice very large sheds from used materials. We also would make it up in like a kit form and sold those when times were lean. Still was a tough buck even with most of the materials free. I don't think I would waste my money on any of those store bought cheap sheds. Just getting so very lil for the money. Plus if you want it to be really wind resistant, must have some way of really fixing it to the earth. Ways down from me one of those tin sheds was flipped over by wind last month and it couldn't have been much more than 50 MPH.

Really big hurricane might take the roofing off my lil beauty, but I would bet it could not blow it down. Took me more than a weekend to put that puppy together.

Old shed setting was down back in the snow, was in tough shape.

New relocated shed, old section is on the left, new section is to the right of the doors. The new design added the front peak and overhang. Windows are new replacement vinyl that I got for squat.

Door hinges were out of my junk box, routed into as an inset type installation using a *** I made up. Got a tad more work on it one of these days, shelfing and pegboards and workbenches. At some point got to get electrical power out there. Been a low priority until I finally get most of the house done.

Both doors open out to give a huge opening. Normally one door has top and bottom latches and the right door locks into it but the left door can be opened for a very large opening when required. This design duplicates how most sheds I have built had their doors. Couple of those sheds had industrial 48" x 6 foot high metal clad doors. Just way out of sight in shed World.

All that wood trim on the exterior is oak planking that I got local from an Amish sawmill. Might not even have to paint or stain it. They don't, just let it weather, turns a light grey over time. This is definitely Boss Shed for my neck of the woods. The Amish do build and sell sheds but they tend not to be this big, seen some nice ones by them. All done with hand tools. Not all that cheap tho, but they will deliver. One of my neighbors is talking about getting one but he has been doing that since I got mine done.

Inside - New section, This was actually built and over wintered with one end open, before the addition was added in the next spring.

Old section on the inside

Last edited by Cosmic; 06-04-2007 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
Good luck to us theqbabdy! You bet cuse, this puppy will be anchored, straped, and reinforced to the point of no return. Many thanks for the reminder.

Our shed will be the same style as in the photos which I appreciated you sharing. Well, it's off to go shopping for lumber . . .

Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,920 times
Our shed is finally finished.. .well almost, need to put on the metal roof. Hubby got called out of town. It is completley dried in.

Yes, my love is the KING OF OVERKILL !!!
Timber tails and all.
Next is the billard hall/ recreation house !

Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Nice looking sheds.....

Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
And in the end .... we bought a shed instead of building it. It isn't nearly as nice as theqbaby's, but we are very pleased with it. It's hurricane resistent and anchored (I mean ANCHORED). This puppy should do very well in high winds, which I hope we won't see for a very long time. :-)

Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 PM

226 posts, read 925,979 times
Default Had Mine Built

I live in a new subdivision and the framers were next door when I asked them to come over to my house and build my shed 10x10. It took three guys a 1.5 days to complete it. Built like a house but stronger. I paid the framers $900 and it cost me another 1600 in materials. All Hardiplank exterior, 30 year shingles, 36" door with window, and another window.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
My Lark built shed,10 by 20 is rated for 140 MPH wind. In 2006 I had almost completed a 12 X 24 shed
On christmas day a tornado came thru and wiped out my 12 by 24 tossed it about 70-75'.The Lark was moved but undamaged also my carport anchored to slab was ok,other than where I had not placed middle anchor was pushed in about 2 inches.We did not have home on property,were in process of setting it up.The tornado was an F1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House