Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM

13 posts, read 94,517 times

Advertisements

The wall that the intercom was residing on was torn down in the remodeling process.

The intercom now needs to be moved to a side wall. Has anyone done anything like this? Im a good electrician but I want to ask if theres anything I should watch out for before I start.

The intercom is a 3 common 1 independent wire Teknote IR204 (circa 1984)

My plan is to cut the pipe at the ceiling and floor levels, install electric boxes at the ends and run the extension wires (10) through flex tubing along the ceiling, nearby wall (where the new intercom will be), under the floor connecting it to the pipe leading to the apartment below.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving Condo Intercom-intercom.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,226 times
hello mihaiCD323,
i have the same situation -- removed a wall and need to move existing intercom to another wall. my intercom looks very much like yours, with pipes running to apts below and above. yours is the only post about this that googled up and i was wondering if you can let me know how did you solve the problem.

my plan is the same like yours:
- cut pipe at floor and ceiling levels
- cut a continuous 12 conductor cable
- use flexible wire loom and fish two loose ends to two separate boxes
- connect extension wire between boxes via block terminals
- reconnect intercom to the extension wire in the same way it was

there is no brand name on the intercom. it is a 3 button (talk/listen/door) intercom. the wire is 6-paired (12 conductor). 6 conductors are uncut and continue to apts down/up. 6 conductors (black, white, red, green singles + blue pair) are cut and wired to the intercom.

the problem i have so far is that i am not able to find 6-paired (12 conductor awg 22 / 7x30 stranded) cable that matches the existing cable in 5 foot length. they only sell 500 feet and it is very expensive. i am thinking to use two 3-pair (6 conductor) cables instead.

is this going to work?

if anybody else has any advice i would be most grateful.

4C

Last edited by apt4c; 04-12-2010 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: more detailed info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House