Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times

Advertisements

First time homebuyer here, have been househunting for awhile and I'm seriously considering a townhouse/condo with no HOA monthly fee. I like the fact that townhouses are newer than SF houses in my area (NE near Boston) but they typically carry a high HOA fee monthy. That's why I never considered townhouses until recently when I saw one that has no HOA fee. The townhouse I'm interested in is on the end with a side-yard next to the house and being on a corner, makes it feel like a single family. It does share a common wall as it's attached to the middle unit.

Wondering what is the typical arrangement between the 3 units in the complex. Listing agent said the current owners share landscaping cost (done by a prof. company) and there is a master insurance. Other than this, is it common to have a written agreement? I'm wondering what happens if work needs to be done that requires agreement between all the owners (say the roof needs replacement due to age, etc.).

What questions should I ask before putting in an offer?
What should I watch out for?

TIA!!

Last edited by mmyk72; 08-10-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
These are questions that should be directed at a RE agent in the local area- they will have the answers you seek.

You may get some general answers if this was in the RE forum.
Maybe a Mod' could move your thread there.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Is there such a thing as a condo with no HOA???

Old 08-12-2012, 03:02 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
MM

I would be nervous with the answer they just get together and split things. To many what ifs for me.

Find out if there are any Covenants, Deed Restrictions, Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, etc. attached to the deed. If here are then first dump the realtor for not knowing/lying, then read them carefully before deciding.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
MM

I would be nervous with the answer they just get together and split things. To many what ifs for me.

Find out if there are any Covenants, Deed Restrictions, Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, etc. attached to the deed. If here are then first dump the realtor for not knowing/lying, then read them carefully before deciding.
Thank you!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
MM

Thank you!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Is there such a thing as a condo with no HOA???
Yes. I live in a twin home which is recorded as a condo but has never had an HOA fee. The County claims an HOA was recorded, but after asking some of the original owners, there has never been an HOA fee nor has anyone ever seen an common area of any kind.

I've tried to refinance my house twice and each time it gets hung-up in underwriting because of this non-existent HOA. How do you prove something doesn't exist? It't been very frustrating. I have all my ducks in a row but in order to fix this mess, I've got to put out some major cash, have a new property plat redrawn and both me and my common wall neighbor have to get our mortgage companies to agree to the changes. We have to re-record our homes as single family homes before we can sell or refinance. Very annoying.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
First time homebuyer here, have been househunting for awhile and I'm seriously considering a townhouse/condo with no HOA monthly fee. I like the fact that townhouses are newer than SF houses in my area (NE near Boston) but they typically carry a high HOA fee monthy.
You need to find out the following:

1. Is the property legally categorized as a townhome or a condo? A property can be a multi-level and multi-unit property that "looks" like a townhome but is classified as a condo. In the State of Georgia, it is part of the legal description and condo documents are filed with the state.

2. If the property has no monthly HOA fees, is it fee simple? fee simple legal definition of fee simple. fee simple synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You need to check your CC&R's and any other legal paperwork; note that all issues need to be in writing regarding the obligations of each owner. Hearsay means absolutely nothing in the eyes of the law.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM

ok. So my offer was accepted and now, finally the condo docs and deed have been sent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House