Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,803,235 times

Advertisements

My In-laws have a dehumidifier for their basement. I'm not sure what size it is, but they do something really neat with the moisture it collects. The humidifier sits on a table type thing and they have a hose that goes from the drain to a HUGE trashcan on wheels (like a furniture dolly concept). They use that water to water their plants (inside and out) and they dump the extra.
Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,388,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
My In-laws have a dehumidifier for their basement. I'm not sure what size it is, but they do something really neat with the moisture it collects. The humidifier sits on a table type thing and they have a hose that goes from the drain to a HUGE trashcan on wheels (like a furniture dolly concept). They use that water to water their plants (inside and out) and they dump the extra.
Just an idea.
That is a pretty cool idea. For whatever reason it didn't occur to me that I could find some uses for this water I'm collecting. I just installed the new 50 pint Frigidaire dehumidifier in my basement and have already dumped the bucket 5 or 6 times. It feels nice and dry down there now, I'm definitely kicking myself for not doing this sooner!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM

635 posts, read 3,094,401 times
Question Does the Santa Fe unit make the ambient temp higher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Don't know what you're looking to spend or how big your basement is, but we have a Santa Fe Dehumidifier and it's awesome! We've had it for about 8 years now and it has made a huge difference!

Our basement is about 2000 sq ft so we needed something that could handle the square footage and we also wanted something that could handle colder temps.
That Santa Fe unit looks interesting.

Question: It's specs mention that the outlet dried air is "heated" before sending back out. Does this cause the ambient temp of the basement to increase?

I just wonder because although reducing the humidity will certainly make it feel cooler, our basement can get somewhat muggy/warmer as compared to the rest of the air-conditioned house. I didn't want to "heat" the air even warmer if possible.

Al

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,409,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post

Question: It's specs mention that the outlet dried air is "heated" before sending back out. Does this cause the ambient temp of the basement to increase?

I just wonder because although reducing the humidity will certainly make it feel cooler, our basement can get somewhat muggy/warmer as compared to the rest of the air-conditioned house. I didn't want to "heat" the air even warmer if possible.

Al

Our basement definitely isn't warm by any means. It's comfortable in the summer (I just checked a Galileo thermometer that I have in the basement and it's about 70 degrees), but it can get cold in the winter, so the unit definitely doesn't heat our basement up. BUT our basement is about 2000 sq ft and unfinished, so there's plenty of air to circulate. I never noticed the area near the unit being much warmer.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM

66 posts, read 349,732 times
Couldn't agree more about the Santa Fe. Been through several different brands and they were all junk in the end. Many reviews said these were worth the (considerable) extra price and my extreme dampness made me desperate enough to go for it. Never regretted it in the 3 years I've had it - and two of my neighbors felt the difference and bought them too. Just set it for the desired humidity level and it does the rest.

As far as heated exhaust; they all do that. They're nothing more than air conditioners as far as function goes, so they have to heat the exhaust back up so that the net temperature stays the same. (In other words it just heats the air back up to what it was when it entered the unit). You won't feel a difference in overall room temp.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post

Al

The air runs over a evap. coil that is below the dew point then over the condenser which adds that heat along with the heat from the compressor back into it. Out comes the air that went in but now it has less moisture. Basically it's your a/c system wrapped up in a little package.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:32 PM

165 posts, read 812,506 times
Are any dehumidifiers energy efficient? Or do they just cost a fortune to run? I'm afraid that getting one of these will just blow up the electric bill!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
It's specs mention that the outlet dried air is "heated" before sending back out. Does this cause the ambient temp of the basement to increase?

I have three room dehumidifiers. They have four settings: continuous, 50%, 60% and 70%. The "continuous" setting makes the unit draw moisture from the air 24/7, regardless of the humidity level. The % settings allow the unit to act as merely a fan until the humidity rises above the desired setting.

If I set them to run continuously, the rooms ARE much warmer...at least 3-4 degrees. The higher temperature is offset somewhat by the lower humidity but it's still noticeable. If, however, I use the 50% setting, there is no obvious difference in temperature...probably because the humidity in those rooms is seldom above 50%.

Same with the electric bills. The first month, I ran all three units on the "continuous" setting. I deliberately didnt change anything else about my electricity use so I could determine the actual cost of using the units. The bill that month was @ $100 higher than the previous month. Then I changed the setting on two units to 50% and left the third one on "continuous" The bill has been @ $35 higher each month than the month before I got the dehumidifiers. I'll probably change the setting on the third unit to 50%, as well, as I think it may not be beneficial to have the humidity level much lower than 50% anyway.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:35 AM

1 posts, read 312 times
Default Best Dehumidifier For Basement

You should go for The Frigidaire 70-pint dehumidifier. It is perfect to protect your home that includes the basement from mildew, mold, and bacteria. It ensures that you breathe fresh air all the time without facing any problem. The amazing part is, this dehumidifier for the basement has the capacity of collecting a maximum of 70 days in 24 hours from the air in your rooms.

The added benefit: This appliance works on a low-temperature operation even at 41 degrees which means it saves you lots of energy and money. Ultimately making it an energy star dehumidifier for your basement.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,107,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbron790 View Post
You should go for The Frigidaire 70-pint dehumidifier. It is perfect to protect your home that includes the basement from mildew, mold, and bacteria. It ensures that you breathe fresh air all the time without facing any problem. The amazing part is, this dehumidifier for the basement has the capacity of collecting a maximum of 70 days in 24 hours from the air in your rooms.

The added benefit: This appliance works on a low-temperature operation even at 41 degrees which means it saves you lots of energy and money. Ultimately making it an energy star dehumidifier for your basement.

Uhh - I think the OP has either gotten the dehumidifier (and worn it out) or decided they didn't need one.

The previous posting in the thread is almost exactly ELEVEN YEARS OLD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House