Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times

Advertisements

The absolute humidity is probably the same as with the other floors but since the basement stays cooler than the other floors in most cases the realtive humidity is higher. You can decrease the relative humidity by increasing the drybulb temperature via a heater (not really recommended) or by buying a dehumidifier/having the basement conditioned. The problem then though is the low heat load and the A/C system not staying on long enough to properly remove the moisture from the air. If it was possible to vent the basement air up to the top floor so that it could mix with the other parts of the homes warmer air it would eventually dry the basement out and the heat load wouldn't be a problem.

The only way for me to know would be to get at least two readings from the basement. Wet bulb and dry bulb, dry bulb and relative humidity or dew point and dry bulb. Any of those would be acceptable and accessible with some basic type of psychrometric tools. Also if anyone here is interested in plotting points on a psych chart there are some available online. They can be downloaded here: Psychrometric Calculator Chart Analysis Software Program for Engineers

How to read the chart and what the points mean: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/...s%20ASHRAE.pdf
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/...ndamentals.pdf

Last edited by BigJon3475; 08-30-2009 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,919 times
It sounds like your main problem is the leaking window. By all means get it fixed right away before you start growing mold in the walls.
If that is the main problem and it is just damp in the area where the appliances are, why not get some dehumidifier crystals. They are very cheap and you can use them anywhere.
Look up a website called drytheair.com.
A friend of mine had a damp closet in one of her basement bedrooms and they worked really well getting rid of the smell and damp.
I think you can also buy them at local hardware stores like Lowes. They cost less than $10 for a bag full.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 AM

228 posts, read 1,204,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
How big is it?
It's a 70 pint Frigidaire FDF70S1

Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to get a midsize one to start off and see how it works. They have Frigidaire ones at Menards so I'll probably pick up one of those since it seems like a trusted brand. I agree that the window issue needs to be addressed. The problem is that it is has a oddly rectangular shaped well so I'll need to find some kind of steel fencing that fits it and then I have a window well cover that I can install over that. It could be quite a project if I end up having to cut into the cement to get the metal fencing to fit in it.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,112 times
forcedfx, I purchased one of those today from Lowes. I wanted one from the other guy but it says online only....the one you set and forget it.

How do you like the frigidaire? Can you set it and then walk away from it...as in, it will kick on and off as needed?

I'm planning on hooking it up to the drain so the unit will be uphill and drain downhill so a pump isn't necessary. I don't want to have to go into the crawlspace day in and day out to turn the thing on or off.

And how is the noise? It's gonna be under the kitchen. The other model I was looking at has reviews that claim it is quieter than most dehumidifiers.

Thanks for your review.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
I use to have a Kenmore dehumidifier. It was about as quiet as a window AC unit. It did make a slight rattle noise when the compressor shut down. That's probably due to it having been moved up and down stairs several times. I bought it and used it to help dehumidify the home following some hurricanes.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,397,457 times
Don't know what you're looking to spend or how big your basement is, but we have a Santa Fe Dehumidifier and it's awesome! We've had it for about 8 years now and it has made a huge difference!

Our basement is about 2000 sq ft so we needed something that could handle the square footage and we also wanted something that could handle colder temps.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
That looks like a real nice one but not sure I'd want to throw down for it. I picked up a 50 pint Frigidare unit for $150.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
definitely buy the dehumidifier. you will not be disappointed. You will find it will do a great job and will make a difference in only a couple of days. the other thing you might want to do, especially if your basement is partially finished and you spend time down there, purchase a room-sized air purifier too. this has been great!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 AM

34 posts, read 44,873 times
Is there a reason you are ignoring fixing the point of water entry?

That should be the first thing you do. Then getting a dehumidifier will actually help you. There is no way a dehumidifier will keep up with an active leak in your basement.

Most dehumidifiers today will run at lower ambient temps and are far lighter than they used to be. With no active leaks, you probably would not need to run it over the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House