Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,274,662 times

Advertisements

I'm having a new house built.

It's very humid outside; it's been raining for days and the humidity is around 95%. The wood inside my house is moist.

They're installing foam insulation today.

Problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:09 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm having a new house built.

It's very humid outside; it's been raining for days and the humidity is around 95%. The wood inside my house is moist.

They're installing foam insulation today.

Problem?
Hello Nepenthe,

There are different types, and manufacturers, of sprayed in foam insulation. You would need to know the type, manufacturer and the manufacturers installation instructions.

In general the answer would be yes, there is a potential for problems later. Spray foam insulation is generally sprayed on wet and need a dry surface to adhere to. Not only can a wet substrate prevent it from creating a strong bond, if the sheathing is wet it can potentially trap additional moisture in the sheathing between the foam (if it adheres properly) and any external vapor barrier on the home. This can cause additional problems later if it does not dry.

Here is a good document from the Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance that is a general guide for the installation of Polyurethane Foam style insulation. Again you need to know the type they are spraying and the manufacturers installation requirements. http://www.sprayfoam.org/downloads/pdf/AY%20112.pdf

I would most certainly approach the builder/insulator about your concerns. Have them show you the installation requirements and where it states it can be applied on a wet substrate.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
From above .pdf:

Quote:
SURFACE PREPARATION
1. When a primer and/or vapor retarder is
specified, there must be adhesion between
components of the system to secure the entire
system against movement.
2. Prior to application of primer, vapor retarder or
spray polyurethane foam, the surface must be
cured, dry, free of loose dirt or any
contaminants that may interfere with adhesion
of any of the respective components.

3. Contaminants may be removed by use of air
pressure, vacuum equipment, hand power
broom, chemical solvents, sandblasting, manual
scraping, etc.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 PM

It ended up coming down to 60% humidity and no rain; the foam looks good although a bit light in the attic. Fingers crossed it ended up dry enough...

I will be going back over it with the foam from Lowe's.

Thanks for the link!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Let's hope so. The cost of the damage that can be caused by trapped moisture is devastating... Did you at least get a warranty on the work and material?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM

There's a three year warranty on the entire insulation job.

I'm relatively satisfied. They spent over twelve hours at my house! It ended up being a warm, dry day -- but the way things have been it easily could have turned into a grey windy wet downpour -- so unsettled lately. The attic insulation was layed on satisfyingly thick -- I estimate two feet in spots!

Anyway, this morning I was somewhat worried but my fears were assuaged. Just want to get stone and brick on the outside and drywall on the inside now.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House