Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

We are considering closed cell spray foam insulation. Can anyone tell me why the "overall" R-value is lower then regular insulation? I know per inch it is higher and denser but still less than normal ceiling insulation. We are going 2 inches but this will be under the roof in the rafters.

Thanks for your help

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
It's good for small framing cavities. Higher R-value than you could achieve with reg. insulation.

Closed Cell and Open Cell Spray Foam Insulation - SprayFoam.com

Some of the disadvantages....when will you know there is a leak? Will there be significantly more damage when you do finally find out your roof is leaking?

I would do lot's of research before I got crazy just to be sure it's what your looking for.

Foam vs Cellulose Blow in - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion

Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 AM

10 posts, read 61,151 times
hi,
The Closed Cell structure is very strong; increasing shear and racking strength by 300%. Closed Cell foam is a Code Approved Vapour Barrier with a permeability rating of under 45 ng. Closed Cell foam stops both air flow through the wall and air flow within the wall cavity.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Don't try to put it in yourself. The chemicals are dangerous and, even in small quantities, it gets all over and does not wash off. Good idea but pay somebody to do it. It is a "Dirty Job".

Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 AM

10 posts, read 61,151 times
The prime component in foam insulation is urethane. The chain of Urethane's atoms is called polyurethane. So polyurethane is the another name of spray foam. Polyurethane is chemical so if we don't care to install, it may be harmful to our body.
So hire any expert person.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Closed cell foam is insanely expensive. Normally you only put in one inch and then fill in with fiberglass batt. R-Value is only a small factor in determining how well insulation holds heat or coool in your house. The beauty of foam insulation is that it fills every void. You can have 12" of fiberglass and it is not doing you much good if cold air is circulating around the edges and through/around the outlet and switch boxes.

We have open cell foam (ICYNENE) in some parts of our house and those are the warmest and queitest parts of our house no matter how much fiberglass or cellulose is in the walls/cieling of othe other parts. R-value does nto tell you much.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 30,875 times
semi-related question......

management gutted the apartment above me and put in cheap new floors. i hear everything now. would putting insulation through my ceiling help? if so, is spray insulation an alternative? looking for options to suggest....been living here 10 years and do not want to move
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House