Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 AM

925 posts, read 4,707,705 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Yesterday, one of my outside AC Units (larger) one stopped working. It was not giving any noise and sending in the hot air through the registers.

Today, I turned it on and the AC unit was making a loud buzz noise but the fan was not running. Not sure what is wrong. So, I turned it off.

Any ideas what is wrong?

I live in Houston, TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Hard to say without seeing it in person but it sounds like either the fan motor needs to be replaced or the capacitor needs to be replaced. Best to call a tech and have him test the equipment to see what part is bad and replace that part.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM

925 posts, read 4,707,705 times
Hi SailOrDave,

Thanks for the fast reply!

In either of the case how much do you think will it cost.

Motor Replacement = $$$

Capacitor Replacement = $$$

Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
I honestly don't know. I work with a guy who does home AC repair as a side job. He said replacing a capacitor is cheap and easy. He says in most cases he's seen, the capacitor will go out before the motor. The motor is harder and more expensive to replace so the labor may cost more. Call around for estimates and a repair call out during normal working hours to avoid overtime cost. If you have them come out, pay for the works incuding unit cleaning and refrigerant level check. Some repair services will take payments. If not, see if your bank will offer a signature loan of $500 to $1,000 for home repair.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:49 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default More than likely it is the capacitor..............

These new ones are not like the old ones. The old ones had like PCB's in them, the materials got changed.

The new ones do not have as good a working life. They also have a shelf live, can not set on the shelf forever before you get it. Plus you must be sure it is the exact replacement one for that unit. Hopefully with the same identical stock number.

Easy to replace. You could just pull it, take it with you to an electrical supply house, see if you can get a replacement, try that first at the cheapest possible cost if money is going to be a concern. wee gamble but can work out well. If the motor is gone, usually that puppy is totally dead, they do not buzz or squeak or nothing.

Always hold on to the old one, bring it back with you. That way you have a record of exactly what the OEM one was. You can get this dribble that this stock number replaces that one and they might not be the same. May or may not be correct, the World is a funny place. Might also look at the packaging of the new one and see if it is dated. Probably should be.

Mark your leads prior to disconnect. Always helps to be prepared for Murphy's Laws and be able to get back exactly where you was. Maybe it polarized, maybe not. I have no clue at this keyboard. Some of those capacitors are dual, two in the pak, serves more than one function. I don't monkey with AC's much. Don't even have one installed. Just be sure it is the exact replacement.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
You can sometimes hear the transformer buzzing when it's not working but it's not an extremely loud buzz. You might also be hearing the contactor chatter. I had a contactor that would pull in but because an insect had crawled in between the contacts it had pitted the contactor beyond repair. This was on a unit that was slightly older than a year. I replaced the contactor with one that has a cover for the contact points. You might be hearing the compressor hum also and the fan just isn't running. If the outside fan isn't running, unless it's raining on the unit, it won't be able to reject the heat and the line sets would get warmer with each second of run time. Capacitors, for the most part, swell up when they are actually bad. With a volt ohm meter you could easily find out what the problem is if you understand how electricity works.

Watch out for capacitors they are quick release batteries that can kill under certain circumstances. That's not to scare you but just a warning. The proper way to discharge a capacitor is a 20,000 ohm resistor in between the terminals. If you wanted to get a wild hair and buy you a decent capacitor tester you'd know right off the bat. Again always discharge the capacitor before working on it because they will blow fuses in testers if you do not. Capacitors on the side of them give a +/- % that is acceptable for the μF ratings.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Yeah, if you don't know the basics about electrics

Should never mess with it. There are real dangers. The capacitor might not kill you but sure can jolt you.

The contactors you can usually just check by pushing it in by hand with an insulated tool. Fuse puller is good.

Kinda reminds me why I always want to get the house energy envelope efficient enough to have lil or no AC. I hate the stuff, don't much like paying those high electric bills either.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:13 AM

1 posts, read 297,094 times
I just fixed a friends AC by replacing the capacitor on the Condenser unit out side. $25, its fairly easy to replace MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF ALL POWER TO THE WHOLE AC UNIT AND USE INSULATED TOOLS. Also since you will need to the numbers of the old one you may have to disconnect it first, take pictures on how the wires are connected to the top of the capacitor. Finding a place that will sell to the general public will the big issue, most places that sell it require you to have a business because they only sell resale/retail type purchases. I was lucky enough to work for a place that had a business account with them. (johnstone supply). Good luck.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 223,035 times
please help needed, I am a handy man and i can do it by my self, my inside unit is blowing worm aire, and my out side unit have humming noise and make clik noise evry 1 minit but fan unit out side not working, do you thing good possebilty could be the copacitare?

Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basselghassani View Post
please help needed, I am a handy man and i can do it by my self, my inside unit is blowing worm aire, and my out side unit have humming noise and make clik noise evry 1 minit but fan unit out side not working, do you thing good possebilty could be the copacitare?
It's a good possibility the capacitor is bad and the compressor is attempting to start. If the compressor and fan share a combination capacitor it could be bad and affecting both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House