Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,188 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone around the Palm Coast Florida area that knows about the AC units.. I'm dealing with A holes around here.. I think I know more then them and really don't feel like paying them 80$ to come over and stand there and then start guessing..and my favorite part.. hearing them start an expense list of what parts might cost.. I've already had a couple of "mechanics" cough cough, actually try and make up car parts .. seriously not trusting anyone in the area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Turn the circuit breaker for the outside unit fully off, then back on again.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 8,377 times
hello, this afternoon noticed a weird smell in house. Smelled like a drill or something like a power tool smells when it burns up. Almost like a electric burn smell. I did not think much of it. Tonight noticed ac was not working. SO figured the smell was coming from the vents. Any ideas what it might be on the outside unit>? Thanks

Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
If you are having to ask what the smell is, I gather you also would not be able to fix it even if you knew what the problem was?

Best to call a repair person...

Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Air does not pass through the outside compressor unit. If an odor is from the vents, there would be a problem in the air handler. There's not much in it except a transformer [for the T-stat], a blower fan, fan capacitor and a blower fan sequencer relay. One of them got fried, stopping the fan from operating.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 19,343 times
My ac is not working, there is a buzz sound coming from the condenser unit out side.The fan won't turn on. ( also has a heatpump)A repair man put 22lbs of freon in it and replaced the capacitor on Tuesday. It kicked on but never really pushed cold air. He suggested I changed the thermostat. I checked the unit before i touched anything, buzz no fan. So i replaced the thermostat, still same buzz no fan . Tried the stick test fan spins freely both directions with power. Inside the house the blower fan works. I need to get this fixed, asap got a kid due anytime now.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I suggest a better air condition guy. 22lbs indicates a leak .

Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,140 times
A residential system won't work correctly with a 22 lb charge. Are you sure it wasn't charged with a few lbs of "R22"? Post the details listed on the invoice.

I'd get a more qualified company out to take a look. Turn it off until the visit.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 19,343 times
It was r22, he wrote it where the lbs was supposed to go. I had to call him to find out. He couldn't remember how much he put in though, said it wasn't a whole lot.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:52 AM

621 posts, read 1,123,140 times
The 24v control voltage source is independent from the condenser power and comes from the furnace or air handler, goes thru the thermostat and eventually pulls in contacts by creating a magnetic field at the condensing unit turning on the cooling equipment. The "buzz" is the contacts being pulled in/closed, so the thermostat was never bad.

Closed contacts but no operation means that the condensing unit power is missing...tripped breaker or blown fuse. Why the CB or fuse blew is what the tech needs to figure out. Amp draw is too high from either a failed motor, a failed capacitor, a short to ground, a voltage drop across dirty contacts, open circuit, or the system short cycled (on/off too quickly) causing the compressor to temporarily lock up.

Most contractors charge refrigerant by the pound, so if the guy didn't know the quantity, how did he know what the bill amount should be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House