Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM

232 posts, read 774,214 times

Advertisements

Just to share my recent experience - my new home (built in 1985)had popcorn cieling. The cieling needed to be painted. After doing research I found its much more difficult to remove the popcorn if its been painted over which makes sense. I decided to have a company do it. The house is 1900 square feet under air and very high vaulted cielings. They were able do the cieling and replace it with knockdown for 1750 including the garage. They then painted it for 1000 - looks brand new - very happy. Unfortunately I cannot refer the company as they are in S Florida but wanted to share my experience and expense of doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,862,449 times
We didn't flood during huricane Katrina, but had about half my shingles blown off, my living room, a 16/24 room with vaulted ceilings and cypress beams every 6 to 8 ft had some h2o damage, then a month before we got back, it was nuthen nice. By the time I had the roof redone, then the insurance company and mortgage company got done stealing and cheating me(another thread, but did we really bail these companys out?), well it became evident I was gona have to Do It Myself on my dollar. Here's my story and it ain't nuthen nice.

I went a good while, because of work before I began, it was around Christmas and I took the week off, went to home depot bought some plastic sheeting,(should have just bought the biggest roll from the start, but started scraping with a pump sprayer with a little dish washing soap and a sheet rock knife and cleanded off the first section(to the first beam) of course nuthen on the ceiling was finished it was just sprayed with pop corn. So I had to finish the ceiling up and down the ladder all the nail marks and the corners tape the sheetrock then prime it, bought cheap primer didn't dry to good. Went back to home depot to get expensive kill primer(good move) that's when I bought the 25$ tool that made it possible for me to do the job, it's for scraping off popcorn ceilings and goes on your poles you use for your paint rollers, shopping plastic bags clip under the tool and catch alot of the popcorn, the bag quikly fills up with 10+ pounds of the crap you drop the bag in the garbage and go with another bag and keep on keeping on. Then you go back with the sheetrock scraper and get the tight spots, dont spray to much soapy water cause you don't want it to soak in the sheetrock and tear the paper. It was a job and a half, I had a lot more to deal with than just a flat ceiling another good move was after getting all the popcorn off, refinishing the sheetrock with sheetrock mud, sanding the sheetrock that was mudded(everythang, every seam, every nail mark from hanging the rock 40 years before)gettin it all finished then priming the rock, then I got this sealing paint that goes on pink, but dries white. It made for a nice job that saved 1,000's of dollars, I maybe had 300$'s total in it, but it wuz a real pain in the AZZ.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 PM

45 posts, read 249,609 times
Golfgal's right. take the hose in the house with a nozzle and just start hosing down your ceiling...after you empty out the furniture, cover the floors with tarps. It's best if you have old carpeting to use as the tarp. It also helps hold the water. Don't overscrape or else your local drywall taper will be your friend. Of course he may become your friend anyways because when they know it's getting popcorn sometimes they don't put finish coats of compound and once the popcorn's gone, you still need a finish coat put back on. P.S. popcorn on tile floors can get in the tile grout and never come out so tarp the tile floors.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,461,661 times
Can be done on your own. Yes very very messy, but worth saving the money. We did this about 6 years ago, and will never forget it. Lots of plastic down on the floor lots. A spray bottle with warm water was sprayed all over the ceiling, husband bought a ceiling scraper, and this is what he used. Popcorn came off pretty easily but made a extreme mess. We had a huge room, so we did not get done in one day, too much and too messy. After that, husband even retextured the ceiling, and i must say, did a very good job, did sort of a knock-down texture on the ceiling. But make sure you keep the spray bottle evenly over the spots you are spraying, and spray away.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,033,702 times
^^^Why not buy a 50 dollar shop vac from Lowes, hook the scraper to the hose where just the scraper is even with the suction end? That way when you scrap the vacuum sucks it up leaving no mess? Those vacs have awesome suction. You don't even need water to limit the airborne particles. You can even make your own hose that's long enough to take the exhaust out of the house to eliminate even the smallest of dust particles.

I bought a home that was built in 2008, had popcorn. I walked in and said you've got to be kidding me. Builder said, but there's no popcorn in the kitchen and bathrooms. facepalm.jpeg

Cheap b&$%^%$#

Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times
I have two rooms with cathedral ceilings rough Idea on having the Acustic ceilings remove, finish texturing and painting. Just need an estimate on what the cost will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House